Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My kid has adhd, advice please!!!

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 24 Replies

My 8 yr old daughter was diagnosed with adhd and my family thinks I want to give her meds to take the easy way out.  Her dad has adhd but they just think he's hyper and I'm impatient.  She gets in trouble at school and on the bus.  She's physically abusive especially to me.  We've tried the groundings and taken stuff away. Nothing seems to work.  Any moms going through the same thing and how do you deal with it?

by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Gather as much information you can on the subject and make sure your family gets to read some of it.  You need to read it as well as work with her doctors in finding what works for her.  Some childnren of ADHD don't have to be on medication, some do.  

Steph1499
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I hate when people think that giving meds is the easy way out.  Finding the right med for a child is not easy. Sometimes you get lucky and the first med is great and then you just adjust the dosage. My son is on meds and he doesnt not hit anymore.  He still gets mad but at least he isnt hitting.  Talk to the doc and find out other ways to help at home and at school.  Sometimes a combo of both is a good thing. You can research and ask the doctor about your concerns.  Some kids need the meds and some dont but I look at it like if the meds help to make his life easier and he is able to function then its worth it.  Its not about the parents, its about the kids. 

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM

There are many different things you can try (diet/organizational skills/ focus issues ).... but if the medicine is the route you have to take, so be it. If it is what she needs you are doing whats best for her, not them.

marikay4
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:28 AM

My DS is 15 and has been on meds since he was very young. They help to control the mood swings and help him concentrat so that we can then teach him life skills with out the meds it is no use. just remember education and research is very important and meds may have to change as she gets older unless she grows out of it. keep educating yourself and your family. it may be a matter of your family not understanding. is your husband on any meds? 

mommieofII
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

We found out my daughter was adhd when she was 9, We knew all along though. We did go to the next step and put her on a non addictive med which she only take during school we don't give it to her in the summer... It last from the time she takes it which is around 8am on school days and it last until around 3-4pm... This just helps her focus more on her school work.. It doesn't make her a veggie at all.. She is still the same person just more content and controlled. It was helped her a lot in school.. As for at home she still is on the bad side.. To punish her I take things away that she enjoys doing, as in her phone, computer and tv... Even sports shes in I will keep her from a practice or game if she misbehaves.. She is learning although its taken a while... Hope you find this helpful.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM
What a wonderful, actually helpful response.

I agree.

Quoting CoeyG:

Gather as much information you can on the subject and make sure your family gets to read some of it.  You need to read it as well as work with her doctors in finding what works for her.  Some childnren of ADHD don't have to be on medication, some do.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandap33
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

thanks for the advice girls!  I've been around kids my whole life and my hubby hasn't so he doesn't think it's good to put her on meds.  She was on meds though last winter and wouldn't take the pill.  We would have to hold her down an force her to then we would sprinkle the capsule on her food or frink so she refused to eat.

So that's my next  ?, any advice on giving her meds.  I'm a patient person except when it comes to my child.

MamaSwan001
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Get her into behavioral therapy
alyssasmommy318
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM
If I may ask please what medication is your DD on?

Quoting mommieofII:

We found out my daughter was adhd when she was 9, We knew all along though. We did go to the next step and put her on a non addictive med which she only take during school we don't give it to her in the summer... It last from the time she takes it which is around 8am on school days and it last until around 3-4pm... This just helps her focus more on her school work.. It doesn't make her a veggie at all.. She is still the same person just more content and controlled. It was helped her a lot in school.. As for at home she still is on the bad side.. To punish her I take things away that she enjoys doing, as in her phone, computer and tv... Even sports shes in I will keep her from a practice or game if she misbehaves.. She is learning although its taken a while... Hope you find this helpful.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommieofII
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Quoting alyssasmommy318:

Focalin XR

If I may ask please what medication is your DD on?

Quoting mommieofII:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)