Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

punishment for teens?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 37 Replies
What's an appropriate punishment for a 15yo girl?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kim8934
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:10 PM

depends on the crime.  Things you could take away: phone, computer, video game, internet access, TV.  Things you can have them do: their own wash, dishes, floors, the list could go on forever.  I once had to weed the garden for a summer, one month I had to jog w/my dad every night, all when I was a teen

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:13 PM

What was the "crime"?  I try to tailor different consequences for different offenses.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Punishment depends on the "crime" ... I spent 98% of my teen years grounded never did a damn thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
savingtheworld
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Yea grounding didn't work for me either? Daughter is 15.. she lives with me an week an then her dad a week etc..I guess I'm more hands on an I'd rather talk..but dad on the other hand..I'm not saying he's way is wrong..but, daughter made a c in geometry which she has stayed after school an tried to make it up..dad doesn't agree with her doing that, but I'm like well atleast she took an initiative..she's at my house this week but I know next week dad will ground her..my punishment is every night for 20 mins no phone just her an I set an work on geometry together... Dad doesn't think that's effective..but aren't I to blame if she makes a low grade, if she told me she isn't doing well in it?
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Taking phones, computer, and car worked well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Dad's tend to be way more harsh and think we ladies are not harsh enough. I think your solution sounds way more productive than his.

Quoting savingtheworld:

Yea grounding didn't work for me either? Daughter is 15.. she lives with me an week an then her dad a week etc..I guess I'm more hands on an I'd rather talk..but dad on the other hand..I'm not saying he's way is wrong..but, daughter made a c in geometry which she has stayed after school an tried to make it up..dad doesn't agree with her doing that, but I'm like well atleast she took an initiative..she's at my house this week but I know next week dad will ground her..my punishment is every night for 20 mins no phone just her an I set an work on geometry together... Dad doesn't think that's effective..but aren't I to blame if she makes a low grade, if she told me she isn't doing well in it?

mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Grounding for bad grades isn't helpful.  Working with her seems like the better solution.  For bad grades punishing shouldn't happen but finding out what will help the child to do better.  If someone doesn't understand a subject ground them isn't going to make them do better.  Now if it's a case of them not doing the work and the teacher allows it not giving privileges until the work is caught up is a natural consequence.

savingtheworld
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Iv talked to dad about finding another punishment, like making her volunteer or some thing useful? She doesn't do much, dad doesn't really let her out of the house, I usually have to set up plans for her on the weekend to hang out with friends.. the only thing she does do is of coarse text.. I haven't said it, but good grief she's 15! An she's not a terrible disturb teen!! She doesn't talk bk or have an attitude she's n all honor classes an spends most of her time playing soccer! Ok she made a c? It could b worse!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Dad's tend to be way more harsh and think we ladies are not harsh enough. I think your solution sounds way more productive than his.

Quoting savingtheworld:

angie2568
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Depends on what she did to get a punishment. Bad grades (below a C) (tutoring afterschool each week for all my kids if not As & Bs), not doing chores or helping out at home/in yard-their messes-bikes, scooters, sports items left all areas of yard,  sassy mouth, attitude, being mean to siblings - grounding from all electronics, no going anywhere with friends for 1-2 weeks (depends on what she did wrong). Also writing bible verses (50 times) for 1 week after homework is complete. Scrubbing baseboard/moldings in living room, bathroom, hallway & kitchen for 1 week.

When I was growing up, we just had the good old fashioned butt-whooping by dad and it wasnt really harsh it was just "You know our rules and if you break one or you dont do as we expect" then we knew we were in for it. Grounding did work, but not for grades bc some kids do not EVER realize until its almost to late in High school that education truly is the foundation for college/universities especially with scholarships and financial assistance.

savingtheworld
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM
She made a c in geometry..on her own without being told she stayed after school to make it up..she's completely aware she can an needs to do better? I just don't see how making her stay n her room is productive?

Quoting angie2568:

Depends on what she did to get a punishment. Bad grades (below a C) (tutoring afterschool each week for all my kids if not As & Bs), not doing chores or helping out at home/in yard-their messes-bikes, scooters, sports items left all areas of yard,  sassy mouth, attitude, being mean to siblings - grounding from all electronics, no going anywhere with friends for 1-2 weeks (depends on what she did wrong). Also writing bible verses (50 times) for 1 week after homework is complete. Scrubbing baseboard/moldings in living room, bathroom, hallway & kitchen for 1 week.

When I was growing up, we just had the good old fashioned butt-whooping by dad and it wasnt really harsh it was just "You know our rules and if you break one or you dont do as we expect" then we knew we were in for it. Grounding did work, but not for grades bc some kids do not EVER realize until its almost to late in High school that education truly is the foundation for college/universities especially with scholarships and financial assistance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN