Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Has your child modeled?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 11 Replies
A scout from a modeling and acting school contacted us for an audition for my 5 year old. Out of curiosity we took him and they were interested in him for reasons that we didn't expect like he is small for his age and has a speech impediment so he could be cast as a younger child. He also has a unique look and they liked that too. Our two year old son is beautiful, but they said they prefer my 5 year old's looks because he is different. The other thing is he is outgoing and not shy.

I have never thought of him modeling, but now my dh is all excited about it. Not about him getting jobs, but about getting him classes and having those kind of experiences. Of course the school is pricey, but dh thinks that's okay, you get what you pay for. I think it's more like a scam to get our money. I also think it's a huge investment in time.

Anyone have any insight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoeyG
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

My daughter modled for JRP a bit when she was in high school   Had she kept up her grades they would have kept her on but she let her grades slip so they let her slide...http://www.johnrobertpowers.net/

Malley
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM
That's who it is. Did you think they are legit?

Quoting CoeyG:

My daughter modled for JRP a bit when she was in high school   Had she kept up her grades they would have kept her on but she let her grades slip so they let her slide...http://www.johnrobertpowers.net/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:36 PM
If it is legit they won't ask for any money from you. My daughter has only done local modeling, for pjotographers or small businesses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Not my son but my niece is currently under a modeling contract. She'll be in a book that comes out in January.

John Roberts is a legit agency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM
So they don't just accept everyone?

Quoting tyfry7496:

Not my son but my niece is currently under a modeling contract. She'll be in a book that comes out in January.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM
The fee is to pay for classes and get photos made. I compared it to a local modeling agency and they do the pics for free, but you pay a one time fee of $150 to put them on their website.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

If it is legit they won't ask for any money from you. My daughter has only done local modeling, for pjotographers or small businesses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:45 PM
No they do not. My niece had to audition, do a portfolio and prove good grades. I can't remember the agency she goes through though.

Quoting Malley:

So they don't just accept everyone?

Quoting tyfry7496:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:47 PM
No modeling but my oldest was in a 'fashion show' for a kids boutique once. :)

Sounds fun I hope you enjoy and make some cool memories!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM
We have never had to pay for classes, only our face shots. And her portfolio is just a compilation of her jobs, which I put together. There was actually a big thing on the news recently about acting / modeling schools are claiming to be agencies. Just be cautious.

Quoting Malley:

The fee is to pay for classes and get photos made. I compared it to a local modeling agency and they do the pics for free, but you pay a one time fee of $150 to put them on their website.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I know someone who was told her daughter should go into modeling.  She spent over $4,000 on a modeling school with a guaranteed job at the end.

Well, there was a photoshoot she didn't get paid for or her picture used and that was it.

Worst money she ever spent!

I would do a lot of research on the company.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN