Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is there an easier way???? UPDATE :(

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 2 year old DS ended up with pink eye and a sinus infection. I have no problems giving him the amoxicillion but the eye drops that's another story. It is taking both my mom and myself to give him the drops, we have to pin his arms and legs down while holding his head still and opening his eyes. If someone saw this they would think we were torturing him. If anyone knows an easier way to do this that would be great. Oh and if anyone knows of any home remedies for pink eye just in case I end up getting it.

Update: First I want to say thank you for the advice, his eyes are clearing up really well.

Had to take him back to the ER today. He woke up with a fever and an odd rash on his legs, I gave him tylenol for the fever and it brought it down and the rash went away, so I didn't think about the rash anymore just focused on keeping his fever down. Around one today it was 101.4 so I gave him more tylenol, rechecked an hour later and it was still climbing so I called his doctor and they wanted to look at his charts from Saturday and call me back, well in the time that I was waiting it went up to 103, and the rash was back so I went ahead and took him to the ER. The doctor there checked him over and ran some tests, he now has an ear infection and she said to take him off the amoxicillion, she thinks that is the cause of the rash. She did get to see that it went away in one spot but appeared in a different. Now I have to wait till tomorrow to talk to his doctor and have him look him over. The rash looks like tiny bug bites in clusters. If anyone has any idea as to what it might be I would really like to know. Will update again tomorrow after seeing his doctor.

by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Can you do it after he's gone to sleep? I know with my daughter,I could open her eye up and put the drops in without her ever knowing,lol.

pandamom268
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM

My dd is the same way and she's 11! She's already had one eye operation (both eyes) and I thought that was hard! We were at the eye doctor recently (she needs another operation on one eye, egads!) and it took me, the doctor and a friend who was along to hold her down for the eye drops to dilate her eyes. I need this advice too :(

Kazmira222
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM
When I git it as a kid I would have to lay on the floor and my Mon would have to pry my eyes open in order to do it. I say whatever works, do it. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lv_my_babies
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:56 PM

LOL, if every touch didn't wake him up that would work great. He isn't a very heavy sleeper. Plus it has to be done every two hours. 

Quoting MrsApple:

Can you do it after he's gone to sleep? I know with my daughter,I could open her eye up and put the drops in without her ever knowing,lol.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Oh geeze,every two hours? That's rough!

Quoting lv_my_babies:

LOL, if every touch didn't wake him up that would work great. He isn't a very heavy sleeper. Plus it has to be done every two hours. 

Quoting MrsApple:

lv_my_babies
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM

:( I really hope everything works out for girl!!!!

Quoting pandamom268:

My dd is the same way and she's 11! She's already had one eye operation (both eyes) and I thought that was hard! We were at the eye doctor recently (she needs another operation on one eye, egads!) and it took me, the doctor and a friend who was along to hold her down for the eye drops to dilate her eyes. I need this advice too :(

lv_my_babies
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yeah it is, I'm hoping DD don't end up getting it. I am being very anal about hand washing and hand sanitizer since he got it. And now I have to see about getting another bottle of the drops because we have wasted some of it from him fighting us.

Quoting MrsApple:

Oh geeze,every two hours? That's rough!

Quoting lv_my_babies:

Quoting MrsApple:

amommyslife03
by on Oct. 21, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Our eye doc suggested putting it in with there eye shut and put drop in the cornner near he nose and have them open eyes and blink a bunch so all the drops would go in. it worked like a charm. we had the same issue with 3of us holding mu dd down. gl hope it helps
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lv_my_babies
by Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I see how that can work, just getting him to blink will be the hard part but we will try that. Thanks!

Quoting amommyslife03:

Our eye doc suggested putting it in with there eye shut and put drop in the cornner near he nose and have them open eyes and blink a bunch so all the drops would go in. it worked like a charm. we had the same issue with 3of us holding mu dd down. gl hope it helps

bec94
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM
This is a good idea thanks! I will keep this for future reference.

Quoting amommyslife03:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)