Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Every time I tell my 21month old "no" or Don't" he slaps himself in the head.  I haven't slapped him, so why is he slapping himself?

Jessi Tiger

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
LindaClement
by Linda on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Because kids are physical.

Try other phrasing instead of 'no' and 'don't.' Things like:

~ yes, later

~ please come away from that

~ that's not for jumping on

~ can I show you something over here?

~ please leave that alone

~ can you bring me your toy?

~ in a while

~ let me think about that

~ that's hot

~ that's not safe to play with

~ chairs aren't made for jumping on

~ please sit down on your bum

et cetera...

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Watch your reaction when he does it-  ignore it. Also, as Bieg wrote above, watch out for your own mannerisms.

etsmom
by Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:56 PM

He is frustrated. My nephew used to bang his head on the floor if he didn't get what he wanted. He stopped doing it eventually but he would get sooooo mad if I would sneak a pillow in under him before he started slamming his head on the floor, lol.  It is a phase.

xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM

All three of mine have gone through that. It's something they do out of frustration. Just tell them no hitting themselves and leave it alone. He will stop.

meliscool72
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

He probably saw someone else doing it to themselves. My son did that and I realized where he got it from when my parents did the same thing.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM
I didn't realize that was a problem that needs correcting. Ive known so many kids who do that. They don't do it hard enough to hurt themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christykhudson
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:04 PM
One of my boys (my oldest) would hold his breath, which worried me at first. Then the doctor told me to let him as he might make himself faint but nothing more. So I let him act out and once I stopped reacting to it, he stopped doing it.
caro100
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM

My son used to bang his head on the wall or floor.  Don't know why, maybe to upset us.  I think he used to like the way it sounded.  He never was diagnosed, but I think he has a little aspergers syndrome, my son not yours.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 9:18 PM
He disciplining himself. When you say no. He know he doing,something wrong
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I agree with this assessment. :)  

Quoting Bieg9093:

When my boy was really little, he used to hit himself when he got frustrated.  It went on for months no matter what I tried. 

Then one day, I was venting on the phone to a friend about something.  I was sitting down and, as I made some point, I slapped my leg.  It was nothing...just a mannerism that goes along with animated speech.  I had never before noticed I did that.  Once I stopped throwing my hands around so much when I talked, he was able to learn to quit hitting himself when he got frustrated.

Don't know if that's your problem, but it was mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured