Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Root Canal on 3 year old?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM
  • 12 Replies

So, I finally got my 3 year old in to see the right dentist today.   She said he needs a couple fillings and a root canal.   I asked how necessary that is when these are his baby teeth and will fall out any way and she went on a tangent about infection (it's not) and blah blah blah... He'd have it done with nitrous.   I'm most worried about putting him through pain and trauma if it's not really necessary... anyone have experience?

How do toddlers/preschoolers do with nitrous?  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Unchecked tooth infections can kill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Nitrous is very safe, baby teeth are very necessary to hold space for permanent teeth, and the work should be done!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madisonsma08
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:11 PM
My daughter had a accident when she was just about 2 she ended up hitting her top 4 teeth and chipping them. We ended up with 4 root canals about 3 months ago. She was hilarious on the nitrous. She kept laughing and singing and talking about how her horse would be jealous since it smelled like peppermint. She handle it all well and never felt a thing until the point of putting new teeth in (yes my 3 year old dd has 4the fake teeth.) At that point she felt him pushing in her mouth and it scared her. I was scared at first to have it done but once she came home from school upset cause kids made fun of her "ugly teeth" we knew it had to be done
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

If the root gets infected his jaw will get infected...I don't know how necessary it is with you to keep his jaw from getting infected but if it does it could mean even worse pain.   He will be under so he won't even know what is going on...he will probably be groggy and want to sleep after but he will be okay

sabrtooth1
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I am a Dental Hygienist.  If the tooth has DECAY, it HAS an infection.  DECAY IS INFECTION CAUSED BY BACTERIA.  If the tooth needs a root canal, the decay is inside the nerve chamber, and it IS INFECTED.  The "baby" teeth that become infected from decay are usually the back teeth.  These teeth will be in his head till he is 12 or 13.  It's not like they are falling out tomorrow.  "Baby" teeth that are left to decay spread infection thru the system, and can cause heart failure, brain damage, and death.  Even if your child does NOT die, he will be in pain, the infection can damage the adult tooth that is forming under the baby tooth, and really what kind of parent wants that for her child.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I am a Dental Hygienist.  If the tooth has DECAY, it HAS an infection.  DECAY IS INFECTION CAUSED BY BACTERIA.  If the tooth needs a root canal, the decay is inside the nerve chamber, and it IS INFECTED.  The "baby" teeth that become infected from decay are usually the back teeth.  These teeth will be in his head till he is 12 or 13.  It's not like they are falling out tomorrow.  "Baby" teeth that are left to decay spread infection thru the system, and can cause heart failure, brain damage, and death.  Even if your child does NOT die, he will be in pain, the infection can damage the adult tooth that is forming under the baby tooth, and really what kind of parent wants that for her child.

It's actually on his front two teeth.   I thought it was the enamel coming off, but she said it was a cavity and needed a root canal.   I said it's going to fall out in 2-3 years and she said not until he's 8... then I had my 6 year old open his mouth to show his nearly grown in adult teeth in that spot!  haha.   Just weighing the benefit vs the risk.   I have the appointment already set up, I just want to be fully prepared and understand completely beforehand.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Quoting CoeyG:

If the root gets infected his jaw will get infected...I don't know how necessary it is with you to keep his jaw from getting infected but if it does it could mean even worse pain.   He will be under so he won't even know what is going on...he will probably be groggy and want to sleep after but he will be okay

He won't be under... they do general, but it costs $880 out of pocket.   So, it'll be Nitrous... I guess sometimes they pass out, sometimes not?

mrskgill06
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 11:56 PM
my 2 dds have had lots of work done.. :( my middle dd had to have a root canal & cap put on her fron right baby tooth.. she fell chipped her tooth cracking it all the way up.. My oldest dd has had way more work done than middle dd has.. she had to have a molar pulled.. She had a nerve treatment done when they capped it, it didn't work.. :( the nitrous makes oldest dd calm... & middle dd HYPER! Complete opposites from their daily behavior.. Lol if they say it's need to be done.. The kids dont even know whats going on & they're all loopy for a while! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Decay on the front teeth is PRIMARILY caused by baby bottle mouth, or trauma to the front teeth.  The fact that you, or your other children, lost their central teeth early does NOT mean this child will.  And the permanent teeth are forming right under the baby teeth.  Front teethare thinner and have less enamel surface than back teeth, so decay spreads more rapidly.  That means there is greater chance that untreated decay will reach the adult teeth.  Suck it up, and get your child the care s/he needs.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Decay on the front teeth is PRIMARILY caused by baby bottle mouth, or trauma to the front teeth.  The fact that you, or your other children, lost their central teeth early does NOT mean this child will.  And the permanent teeth are forming right under the baby teeth.  Front teethare thinner and have less enamel surface than back teeth, so decay spreads more rapidly.  That means there is greater chance that untreated decay will reach the adult teeth.  Suck it up, and get your child the care s/he needs.

Why so rude?   I'm genuinly concerned about my child and making the right decision for him, and I'm not accustomed to following the advice of medical profesionals blindly... so I ask the opinion of fellow moms to get a different perspective.   Try being a little nicer next time and someone might be more apt to take your advice.

That said, he never had a bottle after 4 months (and before that it was only a handful of times) and has never had any trauma... so not sure what it was caused by.   I assumed it was just weak enamel, the dentist didn't elaborate on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN