Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Got off bc, had normal period, then nothing...

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I've been wanting so badly to get this posted and am so glad that CM is back up! This is somewhat late, but maybe I'll get some responses quickly. I had my baby girl 6 months ago, at my 6 week post partum visit I got the Depo shot, so I was on that for the 3 months, but did not get the next shot due to losing my medicaid and having no insurance. I had no period during these 3 weeks which is normal for me when on the shot, which I had been on a couple years ago.There is supposed to be a 2 week safe time after the due date, I started and had a normal period one week after the due date for the next shot, so the day after the period ended me and my boyfriend had sex because technically it was still in the safe time (though I do realize if I had a period it had probably worn off). I assumed since I had a completely normal period that I would get it again the next month, however it did not come. Since that last time we had sex we have not had it again. My last period started with spotting on Sept.7th, really started the 8th and ended about the 11th. Yes it now has been almost 2 months since my last period and almost 2 months since we had sex last as my boyfriend is very afraid to get me pregnant again and we don't like condoms. I have taken 3 pregnancy tests, 2 being about a week or so after I was supposed to get my last period (like begining of Oct.) I kept getting negatives so I can only assume that the Depo shot messed me up. I haven't taken another pg test in the last few weeks because I feel like I'm wasting money.

However, I am going in to get Implanon on Monday, technically today considering its after midnight. I do plan on requesting a blood test rather than just a pee test that they normally do before giving birth control. I'm somewhat  concerned over the fact that I have heard of people not having anything show up on pg tests until they are quite far along. I have two kids and it always showed up right away, but I'm just worried. I mean it probably is not likely that if I am almost 8 weeks along that it would not show up. I just don't want to end up getting the implant and then find out I'm pregnant. This is probably silly, it just seems odd to me that it has been nearly 2 months since I've had a period after having a normal one.... I've just never gone this long without a period when not pregnant or on bc. I always get my period back right away after getting off bc. I know in this case it may have just messed me up, but after only one shot it seems odd, I hadn't been on bc for a year before I ended up getting pregnant. Any thoughts or suggestions?

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3lilmonsters88
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I was off the depo for 4ms before my periods were regulated, if the tests are coming back negative then you are probably not preggo and your system is all screwed up from the depo. Good luck tomorrow/today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thank you for replying. They ended up having me do a urine test first thing when I got there and it was negative, so I'm going to assume I am just messed up from Depo. Now I have the implant, all went good, just lots of brusing around where they put it in, which I suppose is to be expected.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Keep in mind that the point of BC is to trick your body so that you don't get pregnant, so when you get off of it (no matter how long or short the time period) your body needs time to adjust and to regulate itself and your cycle.  I'm glad that everything worked out for you though.

DaniandTom
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM

What the previous responders are saying is correct. Your body needs time to adjust to being off BC. It can take several months for things to regulate. If they did a urine test, and that was negative, you're not pregnant. You would definately test positive at 8+weeks. The pregnancy tests--both at home and at the clinic or your doctors--test for hormones in your system that increase as your pregnancy developes. These hormones are to sustain the pregnancy--which is why when a miscarriage is suspected, they test over the course of days or weeks. If the levels decrease, then the pregnacy has self terminated. Anyone who has a negative test and is in fact pregnant, may have either tested too early in her cycle or had an expired test. You would be 8+ weeks by now so you would test positive if you were indeed pregnant. BC can also make your hormones go wacky for a bit so let them settle a while and your periods should become regular again. ♥Hugs♥

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Your body just needs to adjust to being off of bc

LindaClement
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:16 PM

It is strongly recommended that women ending hormonal birth control methods use another effective form of birth control for 6 months --not because they 'can't' get pregnant straight away, but because they should not.

It takes a while for your body to settle down after hormone birth control, including random periods and multiple ovulations.

xoxRachelxox
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

There is no safe time. When you miss the shot, you can get pregnant right away.

ZOOMZOOMCANTOR
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Your body has to get back in synce

hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM
start "liking" condoms or back on bc.after a blood test.
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM
start "liking" condoms or back on bc.after a blood test.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN