Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

6 month old waking up every hour at night!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM
  • 25 Replies
Hi mommas, so for the past month my 6 month old daughter has been waking up at night constantly. Some nights it's every 2-3 hours, but recently it's ever hour. She just got back from the doctor and she's not sick. I don't know if she's still teething because her two bottom teeth are out pretty far. I mean, I know it might be normal, so I guess if its a phase I just need some help to get through it because I am completely drained and sleep deprived.

Also, I always rock my daughter to sleep every night (I spoiled her from day one) and I was thinking about trying to get her to learn some "self-soothing" habits. Maybe that'll help her go back to sleep in the middle of the night? I'm not sure, this is my first child so I would love your thoughts and advice!

-Allie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
freshmom88
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this
Its probably just a growth spurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tinkerspell
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Quoting freshmom88:

Its probably just a growth spurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoalliemarie
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM
You think? How long do they usually last?
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Ask her doctor if it could be reflux, this could explain why she is uncomfortable. Or not.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Do not pick them up. Soothe them as quickly as possible in the dark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a growth spurt! Give it a few weeks. I know it's tough!

Ninjabubble
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Totally normal! My 6 month old is going through the same thing!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Normal! It is a growth spurt.
Are you nursing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamakin616
by Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Have you changed anything that you were doing as a routine? It could be as simple as she is getting chilled from moving around and kicking her blankets off ,espacially if she is wetting more  ..if you use them ,I know some parents don't when kids are that small.If you have a baby monitor in her room and she can hear your voice ,you could try soothing her back to sleep with out entering the room.Also another idea,check and make sure she isn't getting bitten by anything,sometimes mosquitos or gnats can be a terrible bother to little ones ,they can't scratch and so if something is biting or itching them all they can do is cry.Good Luck ,I hope these ideas help you.

ferne3
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Hiya Momma - By no means an expert but we went through this too.  My DD was so snuggly is was hard not to rock her to sleep, but by all that snuggling, we kept her from learning to sooth herself.  Couple of ideas: 1. We LOVE Hyland's teething tablets - worked wonders for teething if that is your issue.  2.  We found a great book, look it up on Amazon - The Baby Sleep Solution by S. Giordano - a gentler way to help them learn to self-sooth and one of the shorter books out there.  We still aren't perfect.  This week our DD is getting up at 4:30, the first time I picked her up to help her sleep (oops!) and she would not go back down. Since then I haven't picked her up again and she goes back to sleep all on her own.  I figure, they are learning and changing and growing everyday and we have to too.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN