Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My 14 mo old gets bored quickly at meal time...

Posted by   + Show Post

My 14 months old daughter gets bored at meal time whether we are feeding her or she is feeding herself. As a result, she doesn't eat enough during the day and wakes up to have milk at night (sometimes 3x 6 ounces total). My nanny finds that if she gets her to play with a puzzle or narrate while the baby Einstein video is on, she tends to eat more. What's up with that?

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Replies (11-18):
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM

It's most likely just a phase, there was a time where my DD needed music to eat

CoeyG
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

You might want to consider that she's a working mom...

Quoting CoeyG:

What's up with that is that your baby is in control of meal time and you've allowed your "nanny" to allow her to be in control.  

First of all cut out the milk in the middle of the night. If she takes a bottle you are exposing her to poosible bottle rot where the milk sugars ramain on the teeth and cause the baby teeth to decay, causing problems to the adult teeth later on.  There should  be no television within viewing range when eating.  If she is done eatig excuse her from the table.  She may be the type who eats smaller meals throughout the day rather than three regular meals.  Frankly I would get rid of the "nanny" and parent your child yourself

Then she might consider using someone different as a "nanny"  or even daycare where television isn't a focal point in the child's life

LindaClement
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

She wakes in the night because she is still using a lot of calories in the night.

Her stomach is about the size of her fist, so she can't really fit much more than that into it in the first place. 

It is normal for kids this age to 'graze' most of the day (and night) in order to take in enough calories for their needs. 

Eating more in one sitting is not better for her. Eating more than she needs is only convenient for people who sell baby food (and, of course, later, weight loss plans.)

xMamaMiax
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Keep her busy at the table, but I would not suggest watching TV. I WOULD though suggest waiting an extra 30-60 minutes before meal time so that she is actually HUNGRY.

newmommy-again
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I had a "grazer" - multiple small meals a day, all day, every day.  It kept his hunger in check and he slept well.  Not everyone is the same.  You will find something that works.

marisab
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

not sure keep an eye on this behavior and call dr

Yixiu
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Thank you all for your help. She is so much better now. No TV necessary. She can eat when fed and eat by herself. She won't eat too much vegetables or fruits though and gets constipated.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Toddlers are grazers and you need to remember her stomach is no bigger than her fist so only a few bites will fill her up.

Signs of readiness

• Can start to use a spoon (though proficiency will take a while!)

What to feed

• Whole milk
  • Other dairy (soft pasteurized cheese, full-fat yogurt and cottage cheese)
  • Same food as rest of family, mashed or chopped into bite-size pieces
  • Iron-fortified cereals (rice, barley, wheat, oats, mixed cereals)
  • Other grains (whole wheat bread, pasta, rice)
  • Fruits: melon, papaya, apricot, grapefruit
  • Vegetables: broccoli and cauliflower "trees", cooked until soft
  • Protein (eggs; cut-up or ground meat or poultry; boneless fish; tofu; beans; thinly spread smooth peanut butter)
  • Citrus and non-citrus juice
  • Honey is now okay

How much per day

• 2 cups dairy (1 cup milk or yogurt, 1 cup = 1 1/2 ounces natural cheese or 2 ounces processed cheese)
  • 3 ounces grains, preferably half of them whole grains (1 ounce = 1/3 cup cold cereal, 1/4 cup pasta or rice, 1 slice bread)
  • 1 cup fruit (fresh, frozen, canned and/or 100 percent juice) Emphasize whole fruits rather than juice.
  • 1 cup vegetables (Serve vegetables that are cut in small pieces and well cooked to prevent choking.)
  • 2 ounces protein (1 ounce = one slice of sandwich meat, about 1/3 of a chicken breast half, 1/4 can of tuna, 1/4 cup cooked dry beans, or 1 egg)

Feeding tips

• Experts used to say you shouldn't give young children eggs, fish, or peanut products because the child might develop a food allergy. But the latest research from the American Academy of Pediatrics found there's no evidence that babies develop allergies from the early introduction of these foods. Still, some doctors recommend caution when it comes to introducing foods. If you're concerned that your child might have an allergy to certain foods, introduce them one by one and keep an eye out for an allergic reaction.
  • Choking is still a danger. Learn more about foods to watch out for.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)