Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Stress Expert and You Could WIN!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you ready to reduce stress and maximize life? Whether you're dealing with some special challenges now, or you're just looking to make a change for the better, our expert is here to help!

Kristen K. Brown, relationship expert and author of the book The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life, will be here November 13th to offer her advice and answer your questions in this thread!

As a bonus, three moms who reply to this post to ask Kristen a question will win a copy of the book!

^Click the book to take a virtual book tour!

Please ask your questions for Kristen in the replies below. Kristen will post her answers here as well.

Welcome, Kristen, and thanks for joining us!

Giveaway rules:

• The Happy Hour Effect Giveaway starts 11/6/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 11/16/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 11/28/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Replies (131-140):
BabeDollE22Mom4
worst cramps ever! And my back is killing me plus migraine...can I plz get. Break!?!
Yesterday at 1:50 PM
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM

It seems my upper shoulders and back are always stiff is this caused by stress and if so how do i eliminate the pain?

clare731
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

i had a baby july 31 of this year n i get horrible thoughts about him n it stress's me out sooo badd :( n its of harming him n the thoughts eat my heart alive bc i will never do anything too him helpp me :(

Flaca43
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:12 AM

Can you give me some advice for dealing with stress from other adult family members without being rude or starting an argument with them?

PhyllisGB
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I'm stressing because my husband plans to fly an ultralight from Missouri to Texas in the winter (Christmas).  I wish I could get Valium or something.

He has trouble sleeping, due to stress on his job.

We both need advice.  I've been meditating/praying/doing Yoga.  I give him back rubs frequently for his stress.

jdfmommy
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 1:10 AM

How do you calm yourself down when you start to stress?

ms.roxxiepink
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM
I get stress from my ex who is also my baby dad... I feel forced and really would like him out of my life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sonnyswoman75
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Does eating healthy and exercise help with stress and anxiety?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristenHHE
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Hi Everyone! It looks like a lot of you are having work stress issues so here are some great stress busters for a tough workday:

5 Workplace Stress Busters

1. Go back to the beginning. When you interviewed for the job, there was SOMETHING you liked about it. Find that thing and re-approach the job like you're starting fresh. If you can't find that "thing," take inventory of your job tasks and identify which ones you like most. Then try to make those tasks a bigger part of your day.

2. Don't bring work home. When you go home and complain all night or all weekend about your sucky job or bad day, you are not only ruining a perfectly good night for yourself but also sucking everyone else around you down too. When you leave the office, truly LEAVE the office. Use your commute time to re-set your attitude and take the time at home for fun and relaxation.

3. Find an ally. If you're stressed about something at work, chances are others are too. Seek out a support person But instead of getting together and just complaining, flip your conversations so you are coming up with solutions to improve the situation instead.

4. Avoid comfort foods at work. During stress, our bodies are filled with damaging stress chemicals. When you add junk food like diet soda, chips or candy to the mix, you are adding to the toxic vat of sludge that your body turns into during stress. Instead, opt for antioxidant-rich foods like green tea, fruits, nuts or popcorn that help protect your cells from damage. Save the junk food as a reward during happy times instead of using it as a comfort food.

5. Escape the office. When stress sets in, shake up your job routine. Go to a class or conference. Go out and observe consumers and their habits. Do some competitive research. Volunteer for a special project or committee. Routine can be a good thing, but if you're stuck in a tough job, it can help to get out of your comfort zone to reinvigorate your passion and energy for your work.

Let me know if you have other questions about work stress. It's such a tough issue but with some small changes over time you CAN have a job that doesn't drive you nuts!
KristenHHE
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quoting mom-2-4boys:

What is the best way to prevent stress? For example if you know you will be in a situation that will be extremely stressful what kind of suggestions can you offer on how to head off the stress before it becomes overwhelming?

Some great ways to prevent stress from setting in is to become aware of your stress cues and stress cures. Your stress cues are those super early indicators that stress is approaching. This will differ for everyone but some of them are headaches, sleeplessness, anxiety, stomach issues (my big stress cue!), short temper, low morale and stress eating (or not eating). When your stress cues rear their ugly heads it is time to start taking action to head it off before it gets too big.

The best way to prevent stress from getting too big is to identify your stress cures - those things that work for you to alleviate stress. Again this will differ for everyone and can vary by individual too depending on life circumstances at any given time, what is causing the stress and your current health. It's important to be open to experimentation when attacking stress. If exercise normally helps you de-stress but isn't working, try something else. If you've never tried meditation, be open to experimenting with it. Try diet changes. Try me-time. 

If you can build healthy stress management practices into your life every single day (whether you're suffering noticeable stress or not) you will be much better equipped to handle the big and small stresses that come along to take you down. 

KristenHHE
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Quoting sonnyswoman75:

Does eating healthy and exercise help with stress and anxiety?

Hi - Yes eating healthy and exercising definitely helps with stress and anxiety. When you are stressed, your body is flooded with chemicals like cortisol, adrenaline and many others. These chemicals cause damage to your cells (causing inflammation) which leads to illness and disease. When you eat junk food, you are adding more chemicals to that already toxic vat of sludge that is your body during stress.

But when you eat healthy foods, you are helping protect your cells from the damage and keeping you healthy and energetic to fight the stress. Foods like fresh produce, green tea and nuts are filled with antioxidants that protect the cell walls from damage so eat more foods like this when stressed. Save the junk food as a reward when you're feeling happy when your body isn't filled with stress chemicals.

When it comes to exercise, it is one of the very best stress fighters. Exercise stimulates our body to release endorphins which are feel-good chemicals. When you work hard you are also helping your body to circulate and filter stress chemicals out of the body faster. Plus the health benefits of exercise boost your immunity and make you look better. And you know the old saying - when you look good you feel good - and vice vera.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)