Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Stress Expert and You Could WIN!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you ready to reduce stress and maximize life? Whether you're dealing with some special challenges now, or you're just looking to make a change for the better, our expert is here to help!

Kristen K. Brown, relationship expert and author of the book The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life, will be here November 13th to offer her advice and answer your questions in this thread!

As a bonus, three moms who reply to this post to ask Kristen a question will win a copy of the book!

^Click the book to take a virtual book tour!

Please ask your questions for Kristen in the replies below. Kristen will post her answers here as well.

Welcome, Kristen, and thanks for joining us!

Giveaway rules:

• The Happy Hour Effect Giveaway starts 11/6/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 11/16/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 11/28/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Replies (141-150):
KristenHHE
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting BabeDollE22Mom4:

It seems my upper shoulders and back are always stiff is this caused by stress and if so how do i eliminate the pain?

Muscle tension is one of the most obvious physical symptoms of stress. Every time I see a massage therapist he/she always comments on the "log" in my left shoulder that always flares up during stress. A great way to ease some of that tension is to take 1-2 minutes 5-7 times per day to stretch and take some deep breaths to work the tension out. That may sound like a lot of work, but if you do it every time you walk to and from the bathroom or when you're sitting in the car or at your desk, it's easy to fit that in. The more regularly you can cue your body into a state of relaxation, the more resilient you will be to that tension over time. 

The deep breaths are also key - but be sure to breathe through the nose. When you inhale and exhale through the nose, you are stimulating the vagus nerve at the back of the sinus and throat cavity. This nerve helps to relax the body including the muscles so really focus on pulling that breath through your nose into the back of the throat.

Stretching can be as simple as side bends, shoulder rolls or bending over to touch your toes. I love torso twists - while standing just swing your arms side to side while twisting your torso around. 

KristenHHE
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Quoting butcher:

So even after anger management classes...i find myself taking things to heart, or too personal. Especially when I shouldn't. How do I manage this better?

This is a tough one. As women, we are hardwired to base our self-worth and happiness based on our relationships with others. So when someone criticizes us at work or home, we get in an argument with a spouse or any other relationship issues arise, we really take it to heart and let it impact our emotions. This can be a very good thing because we are caring, empathetic and sensitive to our own needs and the needs of others. But when we take too much personally so that it impacts our happiness, that's when it becomes a problem. One great exercise I have used with a lot of success with people is to do a morning mantra every morning followed up with journaling. Every morning before you even get out of bed, set a goal for how your day will go. It might be "today I will greet everyone with a smile" or "I won't let my boss get to me today" or any other goal that fits your current circumstances. Then throughout the day, write down your morning mantra and a sentence or two about how you are making that happen. This exercise helps you spin your day in a positive way and reminds you that you are in control of your life - you are making choices for YOU. Other people don't have the power to control how you feel.

You may think this will take too long, but the morning mantra happens when you're still laying in bed and writing down a sentence takes less than a minute. Do it after every bathroom break.

KristenHHE
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Zacknalexmom:

How can I reduce stress in my life? I'm a divorced single mom with 2 kids. I work full time. Their father is not in their life,I have very few friends and lonely. I'm a introvert,I have not been on a date or had a boyfriend in over a year. Going on a date as a single mom just feels more like going for a job interview.

You and I sound like one and the same! I am a widow mom (I only have one child though), I work full time and am a writer, I'm a total introvert and also haven't really dated for various reasons. I have worked with a lot of other single moms and the most powerful thing that works  for them (and it worked for me too) is to create a life for YOU. Learn who and what you are and what you're passionate about that isn't defined by a man. This means you will have to stretch way, way out of your comfort zone. Take classes. Read books. Travel (this can be locally if money is an issue). Go to movies. Begin to identify those things in your life that energize you and make you happy. It will take experimentation. But if you can learn to by your own best friend and companion, you won't feel so lonely. It's not easy. But once you liberate yourself from being defined by the man in your life, you will begin to feel freer, happier and more engaged with life. I was in long-term relationships from the age of 15 until my husband died. I never knew who I was without a man - but it is so amazing being able to wake up and know that I am fulfilled just by being me. I would be happy to talk more with you about some ideas. Just email me. Kristen@happyhoureffect.com

getmylifeback
by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 9:35 PM

How  do I survive? My beautiful 18year old daughter, graduated with straight A's this year. Was a busy senior and we as a family did things together! Then out of the blue, she was pregnant  by a guy she met on the internet, was lying about him for a while, never met him or seen him!!! He is 27yrs. old and she moved to the State he lives in with his Parents!!! How do I get up ??and move on?? That is the shortened version....I've been in depression for 4 months!!  Why do moms get to work so hard to raise their kids just to be run over by a semi ?? Talk about stress....Fear, worry, frustration, hurt, heart broken and no info from her side!

C.S.K.L
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:51 AM
I work 3rd shift and my 3mo comes to work with me and the. My husband also sit with me till 230am(my son stays with me whole shift) then I come home drop the 8 and 6 yo off at school and then try and sleep with my 2yo and 3mo still at home, then I wake when the older 2 get off school, then it's dinner, homework ( somewhere in there DH comes home) baths and bedtime and the. Snuggling with my DH and the. Off to work, I just don't have time to myself(me time) and its really just starting to build on me. But there just isn't time for it. Any advice to help me to help battle the stress?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
C.S.K.L
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM
My DH is a true my sweet man, but he's got this problem with worry and I know he just wants me to keep assuring him but it's getting very annoying and it's Irking me now. He's constantly " your gonna leave me, don't ever cheat on me, you love me right, I hope so, your never gonna stop loving me are you) now he had good parents and no past relationships to cause this and I've never given him any reasons. He was bullied a lot in school and he blames it on that. But all he does is worry about this stuff all the time. I'm running out of patience, as soon as he starts I'm instantly irritated, he tells me to just keep being reassuring but it's just getting old and I hate always repeating myself. Any kind of advice for this?
newmommy-again
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM
What is the best way to cope with stress due to a boss? My co-workers are great, but the minute the boss walks in the stress level goes through the roof. It doesn't help that she manages by email and doesn't have a firmm grasp of the job duties of her employees.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilys_mama1222
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 3:01 PM
I tend to break down when I'm stressed I usually get very angry and eventually it leads to me crying. Is there any way I can get my self to calm down before I get to that point?
Tetiry92
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Hello my name is Tess and I'm 20 with a son who will be three soon. Trying to manage a full time college schedule a part time job. Also dealing with my son'a father and his new wife. The stress threatens my sanity sometimes any tips?
kerry20
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I have an extremely stressful job- what's the best way to handle stress at work?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN