Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Q&A Giveaway! Ask the Stress Expert and You Could WIN!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you ready to reduce stress and maximize life? Whether you're dealing with some special challenges now, or you're just looking to make a change for the better, our expert is here to help!

Kristen K. Brown, relationship expert and author of the book The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life, will be here November 13th to offer her advice and answer your questions in this thread!

As a bonus, three moms who reply to this post to ask Kristen a question will win a copy of the book!

^Click the book to take a virtual book tour!

Please ask your questions for Kristen in the replies below. Kristen will post her answers here as well.

Welcome, Kristen, and thanks for joining us!

Giveaway rules:

• The Happy Hour Effect Giveaway starts 11/6/12 at 1pm (ET) and ends 11/16/2012 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • Three winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 11/28/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Replies (151-159):
4kidsOnMyOwn
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
What can you do to help dig yourself out of a hole once you held in so much stress and frustration for so long that you just wake up tense?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidsOnMyOwn
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM
What can you do to help dig yourself out of a hole once you held in so much stress and frustration for so long that you just wake up tense?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenHHE
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 4kidsOnMyOwn:

This is a tough one. As women we tend to hold things in and put on a brave, strong face longer than we should. And for me, I'm so darn stubborn I never want to admit I may be wrong or need help. But if we can take small steps slowly over time, it will seem less shocking to overhaul your situation than trying to do it all at once. Some great ways to start are:

1. Schedule me-time on your calendar. Don't just say you're going to spend time for yourself every week because you won't. You MUST put it on your calendar and make it priority just like you with scheduling kids' practices, appointments or meetings. Even if it's just five minutes to read a few pages of a great book or using your trips to the bathroom to take some deep breaths and rub some aromatherapy oils on your temples. Every little bit counts and adds up over time.

2. Let go of mommy-guilt. When you have kids, it feels like all energy goes to them which is great because they are your top priority. But as you give, give, give you are also depleting your own energy to feel happy, healthy and excited about what every day can bring. You must let go of the mommy-guilt that goes along with saying no to the kids sometimes to say yes to yourself. And by doing this, you are actually teaching your kids an amazing lesson in independence, relating well to others and seeing self-care as a valuable part of life.

3. Stop, look and listen. Life moves so fast especially with kids in the house. We are always thinking about what we have to do next. But if you can start to make time throughout the day to just stop, look around and be present in the moment to appreciate what you have, it can make a big difference to your speed of life. Slowing down can help you catch up and feel more in control of all of the moving pieces of your life. My favorite way to build in this time is to spend the time every time you go to and from the bathroom reflecting, deep breathing and just slowing down physically. You don't have to sprint to the bathroom, pee as fast as you can and speed back to what you were doing. Walk slowly, take your time, every time and you will automatically be building in several minutes of me-time every single day.

I have hundreds of stress-less and wellness tips in my new book so check it out at www.HappyHourEffect.com.  THANKS and good luck!! 

KristenHHE
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Quoting clare731:

i had a baby july 31 of this year n i get horrible thoughts about him n it stress's me out sooo badd :( n its of harming him n the thoughts eat my heart alive bc i will never do anything too him helpp me :(

Hi Clare731 - I would highly recommend speaking to your doctor, your baby's doctor or a therapist. You may have some postpartum challenges that need to be addressed and talking through them can help take the weight off your shoulders and get you back to feeling good again. There is a lot of pressure in mommyhood and that can manifest itself in many weird ways including destructive thoughts. Talking them out is the best way to deal with them. You can also try spending more time doing positive hobbies you are passionate about every single day to keep your thoughts from going negative. The more laughter and smile-inducing activities you can do, the less time you will have to spend thinking about negative things. Definitely talk to a doctor to help figure out the next best steps. Good luck!!

KristenHHE
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting Pam_8787:

My body reacts to stress in so many ways. One way is insomnia. I have medication I take that can also cause insomnia but I notice that when I am not as stressed I can sleep better despite the medication I take that causes stress. Anyways I can make sure that I am as relaxed as possible before I go to sleep

Hi Pam - Stress definitely causes sleep problems. When you can't sleep it is one of the first indicators of stress. Some great ways to get more relaxed before bed are in the two links below. One is a Morning Prep Checklist that helps you prepare for the next day so your to-do list doesn't weigh on your mind. The other is a Bedtime Routine sheet that gives you several ways to relax and prepare your mind and body for sleep. Enjoy - and sweet dreams!!

Bedtime Routine Ideas

Morning Prep Checklist

mommie_19
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Hi. I Am A Single Mom & I Have A 2 Year Old Son. I Am Only 19 So I Have To Deal With A Lot On My Own. I Tend To Get Really Stressed Out Over Little Things & Get Angry As Well. I Just Need Some Advice In How To Reduce All The Stress. Thank You!

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:48 AM

congratulations       ....and the WINNERS are...    

BratPunk             

Bricaskitty96       

bethshek222

You have each won a a copy of Kristen K. Brown's book
The Happy Hour Effect: 12 Secrets to Minimize Stress and Maximize Life!

MamaDee2Bee
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

How do I keep from getting stressed out when my kids aren't listening when I ask them to simply pick up their toys or take their dishes to the sink after a meal? My daughter is 4 and she doesn't have any real "chores" i dont think this is much to ask of her considering she does this at daycare.

HisMrsSugar
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Since October when I lost my Mother I have had so much stress with the grief and trying to cop with it that not only am I snappy with my husband but I have been to my kids also. Its not right and I feel bad but I constatly feel stressed and my husband isnt helping matters. My question is, How can I reduce all this and be able to cop at the same time? Im having a hard time and its been bad on my health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured