Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I try my best and I don't know what else to do??

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm a sub teacher/teacher assistant. When I sub at the end of a day teachers that I worked with or a staff member says "You're great leave your number. We will call you again" or "I love how you interacted with the children You're really good" But they never call me back

When I lleave the classroom I always leave a note with my name and number No one calls me back

I also email the teachers who I really enjoy working at their school

What else can I do? I really need to work everyday and I love subbing

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robyann
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

can you get on  permanent? I'm not sure how to get them to call you back, sounds like your doing all I can think of, sorry....I hope someone has better advice for you.

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 8 & counting!

Paradys
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM
When I was a sub I had to call all the schools I wanted to work at and put myself on their list....other than that it's hoping teachers ask for you specifically.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nikkijr
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM
It must be pretty competitive eh? I personally pray about everything. I would do this above all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM
3 moms liked this

My daughter is a teacher.  The teachers do not hire the subs, or the TA's--the school does.  And the school rarely asks the teacher for their input.  

I am a temp Dental Hygienist.  If a client likes me and asks for me again, that's all well and good, but that client may not need a temp again for MONTHS.  What you need to do to work continuously, is to impress the agency that places you.  To do that, you need to be available on short notice, be willing to take WHATEVER and WHEREVER the assignment is, and never complain or make demands.  Show up on time, be professional, and work your tail off.  A client who COMPLAINS about you, for whatever reason, will burn your chances of placment with ANYBODY.  After you have shown your worth, you will have more likelyhood of getting better locations or assignments.

Edited to add: Sign up with multiple agencies or school districts.  This will increase the odds of someone calling you for an assignment.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I'm not sure, sounds like you are handling it well, bump!

bmwlover
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My wheels are spinning I think what I can also do is email the school and tell them I'm subbing and my qualifications. Also when ever I sub stop at the office and drop my name off and phone number and say If you ever need a sub here's my name and number....

hugs

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

This is good advice for yourself.  Already have  your thinking juices going. Good job!  It's what I would have suggested myself. :)  

Quoting bmwlover:

My wheels are spinning I think what I can also do is email the school and tell them I'm subbing and my qualifications. Also when ever I sub stop at the office and drop my name off and phone number and say If you ever need a sub here's my name and number....

hugs

undefined

SlightlyPerfect
A party every day this weekend. I can't wait for fall and a freed-up calendar.
Yesterday at 9:24 AM
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Try subbing in all the school districts in your area. Get on their lists.

How do the districts work calls for subs? Do they just call you? Some will post on a site the night before, and the first sub to respond gets the job.

Your best bet is to also volunteer as much as you can, so HR, the principals, and the principals' assistants know your face.

I'm a teacher. My friend just got her master's in special education and is just now receiving callbacks for LTS positions. She's been trying since May. It's tough out there.

slightlyperfect

bmwlover
by Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:38 PM

We have a program AESOP which I personally don't like AESOP will post. It is first come first serve

Sometimes a school can call you and have you come in.

xoxRachelxox
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Maybe they don't need you and that's why they haven't called?

If you're a sub, they only call you when they need someone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)