Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is going bald!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 28 Replies
Ok not totally but my 3 year old has a bald spot on the top of her head and a slightly smaller one over more toward her temple. Her pediatrician is leaning toward alopecia areata (sp?) but referred us to a dermatologist for further testing, diagnosis and treatment. My question is, has anyone her dealt with this before? And if so can you giver me any advice? My biggest fear is she will either lose more hair or never grow this hair back and will get made fun of as she grows older.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM

bump sorry I have no experience

true-love-21
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:54 PM

BUMP!

sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Go to the dermatologist.  Find out exactly is going on.  I've known several kids who were bald, and they wore scarves or wigs, and NO ONE made fun of them.  Of course, they were bald because they had cancer.  Being bald because of alopecia, or a dermatological disorder, is far preferable.  And stop making this a big deal.  It will only be upsetting for your daughter if YOU continue to act upset. 

Mommyof2114
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:41 PM
Sorry you are dealing with this. My dd has super thin hair and has a spot in the middle of her hair but its not a bald spot.
PerfectVirgo
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM
There's a boy in my sons class who has a huge bald spot right in top. No one makes fun of him.
Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM
I'm sorry, but as a mother of a child who has had 4 massive brain surgeries and been seriously ill, I find it really sad and mean when mothers to tell other mothers not to be upset or sad or worried about what their kids are going through just because its not catastrophic. :/

Just because she doesn't have cancer doesn't mean it won't affect her to be "different" from her peers in a society that is so focused on looks.

OP- I hope you get some answers, and I hope that if she is permenantly affected, you both become stronger, more gracious people because of it! *HUGS*

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Go to the dermatologist.  Find out exactly is going on.  I've known several kids who were bald, and they wore scarves or wigs, and NO ONE made fun of them.  Of course, they were bald because they had cancer.  Being bald because of alopecia, or a dermatological disorder, is far preferable.  And stop making this a big deal.  It will only be upsetting for your daughter if YOU continue to act upset. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sheilamommyof3
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM
3 moms liked this

This is my daughter rashel..she is 4 and has alopecia and lost her hair when she was 18mnths. If u have questions or just wna talk feel free to email me :-)
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:50 PM

that is such a cute picture! she has such beautiful eyes!!

Quoting Sheilamommyof3:

This is my daughter rashel..she is 4 and has alopecia and lost her hair when she was 18mnths. If u have questions or just wna talk feel free to email me :-)

Sheilamommyof3
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Thank u :-)

Quoting alexis_06:

that is such a cute picture! she has such beautiful eyes!!

Quoting Sheilamommyof3:

Nicsone
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Thank you. I know this isn't something huge compared to the worst that can happen to her, I lost my first son sure to a blood infection that caused him to become septic and stopped his heart, he was just under a month old when we took him off life support. Trust me I get this isn't something to make a big deal of, and around her I don't because I don't want her to think it is. But that doesn't stop me from worrying that if she does lose all her hair she may be hurt emotionally from those out there who have mean spirits. Thank you for understanding that

Quoting Elyssa414:

I'm sorry, but as a mother of a child who has had 4 massive brain surgeries and been seriously ill, I find it really sad and mean when mothers to tell other mothers not to be upset or sad or worried about what their kids are going through just because its not catastrophic. :/

Just because she doesn't have cancer doesn't mean it won't affect her to be "different" from her peers in a society that is so focused on looks.

OP- I hope you get some answers, and I hope that if she is permenantly affected, you both become stronger, more gracious people because of it! *HUGS*

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured