Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How far is too far for every other weekend visitation?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 4 yr  old DD's father moved 3 hours away. currently she is in preK Mon, Tue and Thur. so every other weekend she is picked up by 11am on friday by her dy 5pm by her dad. and is home by 5pm on sunday.
It's a 3 hour trip both ways, w/out stopping for lunch, potty etc....so I have 2 things that are going to change soon (w/in a year) ~ in Sept she will start kindergarten, fu l time m-f. which means she will be in school until 3pm ~ so he wouldnt be able to pick her up by 11 anymore on fridays.....AND he is thinking abut moving AGAIN (this will be move #5, each time getting further away, first he was a few miles down the road, 2nd he was an half hour away, 3rd an hour and now 3 hours....and if he moves in w/ his GF it will be 4 hours away ~ so getting picked up at 3 she wouldnt get to his house until dinner then bed and only have a day and half before having to hmake the trek back....the weekend she goes there, she has fun w/ him (from what I can tell) but also notice she is crabby and its hard for her to sleep the first night or two ~and he bahvior is not so good, it;s like an awful 2 days of whining and getting back into our routine. I think that all the driving/riding etc...is too much for her b/c she is still young.  
I don't want to take away his visitation, but dont want my dd stressed either.....any suggestions? any other moms "dealing" with something like this?

by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Replies (11-12):
jeniprice
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM
In my divorce, it is written that neither one of us can move more than 150 miles away from each other unless it is agreed upon by BOTH parties. You could take him to court and get that part of visitation revised. Some states have laws that state that the parties can only live a certain amount of miles away from each other. That might be something to check in to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Quoting BaBa1123:

No I do not have to deal with this however I think this is too much for the young child.   Visitation rights he should have but if he keeps moving away like he is now up to 4 hours then maybe in a few years he will be more than 8 hours away so he is not really concern about visitation.  Summer time is when his visitation should take place where you do not have to worry about school.  See what your rights are and then go from there.   

LMAO boy you'd have a heart attack if you had my ex, and it wasn't he who moved away but me, 3,000 miles away.  While there were no more every other weekend visitations for him every school break she did get on a plane and spend almost 8 hours on a plane getting there and getting back and somehow survived.  They do survive and if it's not in the divorce decree and you don't like it you're going to have to go to court and leave it to the judge to decide.  But if you try to keep him from having visitation simply because you think it is too far, he can take you to court and hold you in contempt...You are not allowed to change anything without a court order.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN