Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

tablet advice

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM
  • 2 Replies

I've been thinking about getting a tablet for our family. Not sure if it would be a waste or worth it. And I know nothing about them really. I have a 4 year old, 2 1/2 year old, and 4 month old, and my husband and I. We both have android phones, so we can play android apps on the phones, and our 4 year old plays them too. So if we got an android tablet it would basically just be a bigger screen right? If we got an Ipad, there would be some different apps I would assume, as far as I know apple is the only apps that have disney jr right? Is there more we can do with tablets than just bigger screen for the apps. Of course I want educational things for my kids. Can we use them to go online and play games on disneyjr.com? Also, is it only wifi? We have wifi at home so that would be no problem, but what if they want to play with it on a roadtrip (like our 12 hour trip to Ny coming up). We were grandfathered in to the unlimited date with verizon, I think if I add a tablet to our plan it will change the plan and we will lose the unlimited, which we dont want that to happen. Sorry to ramble, just looking for any advice or suggestions. Thanks :)

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Yes, if you got an Android based tablet it would be similar to your phones, just bigger, faster, and with some more capabilities than your phones have. You can use them the way you would a laptop PC, really. I don't know about the Disney Jr apps, but you should be able to go to the website to play games no matter which type of tablet you buy, since both have web browser abilities.

***Check out The Marketplace!***

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Exactly this. We have a Samsung Galaxy tablet right now - great for dd to watch movies in the car.

She's getting a Nabi 2 for Christmas - works like an android tablet, but it's preloaded with apps and book for kids and has a system in place that they can't get into the settings without a password.

If you get a regular tablet, there's an app called Kid's Place that works the same way with the controls. That's what we use right now. And for movies we use MX Player because you can loce the screen so they can't back out or whatever while it's playing.

Quoting bamababe1975:

Yes, if you got an Android based tablet it would be similar to your phones, just bigger, faster, and with some more capabilities than your phones have. You can use them the way you would a laptop PC, really. I don't know about the Disney Jr apps, but you should be able to go to the website to play games no matter which type of tablet you buy, since both have web browser abilities.

***Check out The Marketplace!***

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN