Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is my Son is eating too much?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM
  • 23 Replies

I have a 8 month old son who up until last month was full breast fed. He has always been a great eater. At 4 months I had to start him on rice cereal before bed time to help fill him up because he acted as though breast milk just wasn't filling him. At 6 months I started to introduce baby food which he is now up to eating 6 Gerber tubs of baby food a day plus a cup of cereal for breakfast. On top of all that food I'm going through a can of formula every two to three days and that's at home. He does go to daycare 9 hours a day Monday thru Friday, weird thing is at daycare he eats normal amounts of food and only drinks one 4 oz bottle a day. At home he wont drink any less then a 8 oz bottle at a time. At night time before bed he usually drink 16 oz. I give 2, 8 oz bottles always after the first when he still wants more i make him pplay for at least 30 mins to make sure he really still hungry and every night after 30 min he wants another 8 oz bottle. He also still gets up every 3 hours during the night to drink an 8 oz bottle. Not sure what I can do, I feel like he is just eating so much, this doesn't even include the fact that he gets small amounts of table food with his meals and baby snacks through out the day when he acts hungry. By no means is he a chubby baby he weighs 22 pounds and is very long. Is this healthy how much he is eating? I don't believe its a growth spurt because he has always been a big eater. How can I try to get him to not eat so much?

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Ask the doctor. See where his height and weight is on the chart. My chunky dd was 20lbs at one. My tiny dd was 20 lbs at 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't believe babies can eat too much. I wouldn't worry about it. I figure it will all even out with time.

LancesMom
<-- So proud of my kid!!
Today at 9:46 AM
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Hi welcome! Maybe he is busier at day care. Alot of kids around! =) So he doesn't think about food. I would talk to the doctor and see first if its too much! And if its not no worries, but if it is, then maybe find things to do to keep him busy!

mmccrea
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I agree.  As long as it is healthy, nutritious food, and not sweets and empty calories, it should be fine.  He could just be going through a growth spurt, or is just hungry.  Feed that baby!  

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I don't believe babies can eat too much. I wouldn't worry about it. I figure it will all even out with time.

orngblsm
by Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I would speak to your pediatrician.  However, babies that age only eat if they are hungry.  If they aren't hungry, they won't eat.  He doesn't sound like he is drinking enough during the day which is why he is drinking so much at home.  Honestly, he sounds like he is eating a normal amount for his age and weight.  What do you consider a normal amount of food - one tub at a meal?  All of my boys were eating a minimum of two containers, but usually three, at a meal by about 8-9 months.  None of them were ever considered overweight.  I know the concern is now on childhood obesity, but if you have an active child, they need the nutrition to fuel that activity and for proper growth.  Just make sure what he is eating is healthy and not hollow calories. 

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes. His stomach has been stretched, so he's eating more to feel full, which stretches his stomach more.

A lot of people are probably going to disagree with me, but based on everything I've studied on infant nutrition and especially the fact that he was breastfed up until a month ago, this is a big problem. A breastfed baby's stomach capacity is 3-5 oz. So in a month he went from that to taking 16 oz at a time? What you see as acting hungry is probably him being uncomfortable and wanting to continue to suck on something to ease the discomfort.

Here's the thing - if YOU are feeling like he's eating too much, it's probably because he is. Trust your gut. But I'm seeing lots of red flags, starting with the cereal at 4 months. How babies act is no indication of whether they are getting enough to eat. Diapers are. If he was producing at least 6-8 diapers in a 24 hour period, he was getting plenty of milk. Breastfed babies are notorius for acting dissatisfied - that's how they establish and guarantee your milk supply. Good chance he was hitting a growth spurt too.

Here are some links to read:

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/breast-versus-bottle-how-much-milk-should-baby-take

http://nurshable.com/2012/01/10/overfeeding-a-baby-with-a-bottle-vs-the-breast/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/first-foods/

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

MarylandMom123
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definitely speak to your pediatrician first to track his height and weight. I can only speak from my experience with my 9 1/2 month old daughter, but it sounds like your son is DRINKING a lot! I've found that the more solid food my daughter eats, the less formula she drinks. 16 ounces before bed does seem like more than a tiny stomach should be able to hold! Is he truly hungry? At this age he should be able to sleep through the night w/o a feeding. Maybe you can try giving him some water? Again, I am not an expert but it does sound like he is going through an awful lot of formula. Good luck!

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Yea, that sounds like way too much to me.

Any particular reason you stopped nursing?   Could you go back to it, and then you really don't have to worry about how much he's eating?

TexanMomOf6
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Does he need a pacifier? Maybe he's not really thirsty, he just wants to suck?

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Sounds like a lot but I would ask your pediatrician.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)