Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

5 1/2 Hour Car Ride, Just My 17mo and I...

Posted by   + Show Post

Any advice?  We are going to my parent's house for Thanksgiving.  My dh has to work, so it is just me and my 17 month old.  I have no idea how this is going to work.  He has only been sleeping for an hour or 2 max in the car lately...I am pretty worried this is not going to be a quiet drive.

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Make frequent stops - maybe every hour, if he is awake. If he is asleep let him sleep. Another trick I used was to leave very early in the morning- like 4 o'clock, and the children slept most of the trip.

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Do you have a portable DVD player you can let him watch? Does he have  favorite songs you can buy on a CD or put on your phone that will keep him quiet and entertained? Also stopping and rest stops so you can get recharged and he can walk around, I would say with things like this you should be good to go.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Quoting victoriahearts:

Do you have a portable DVD player you can let him watch? Does he have  favorite songs you can buy on a CD or put on your phone that will keep him quiet and entertained? Also stopping and rest stops so you can get recharged and he can walk around, I would say with things like this you should be good to go.

We never had a DVD player when my daughter was small and quite often we went on long car rides because I have friends in Ontario Canada and they didn't have portable DVD players back then.  I have very often gotten to the end of the bottles of beer on the wall and she helped me get there LOL.  

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM

invest in some toddler cds to play in the car and just sing along with them.  Definitely when you stop to get gas, allow him to get out as well to get stiffness out of his legs.  Talk about different signs you see or cars that drive by.

nmartin15
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM

my son and i have taken many car trips in the last two years by ourselves. We too are about to take our first 5 hour trip next weekend. I have found that a portable DVD player is the best thing. He loves the car rides so I usually wait until he is getting antsy to put the movie on. We also stop about every 90min to stretch legs and change diaper. Good luck!! music also helps.

trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:49 PM
I would play it safe and if you are not to tired Leave when he sleeps or stop ever 2 hrs. Or as needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM
Stop often.snacks.new toy.music.DVD player.
Good luck! You are a brave lady!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marinewife55
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM
I'm a single mom and its always just me and my dd...we went from san diego to Seattle (1200 miles) when my dd turned two, she loved it...but she's always been used to driving places...its normal for us to randomly drive 3-4 hours to go on a day trip or something...my advice is have snacks, water, juice...put the radio on, sing alongs, make sure u have leg stretch stops...I also have played lil alphabet games with my daughter or talk to her about all the things we passed...I think driving is great for kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatherineM
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Portable DVD player is a life saver you can get a cheap one at Walmart for around $50.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aarensmommy
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM

we did and 8hr trip with 2 infants a 2yo n 5yo, we left at night the babies slept most of the way...i would suggest leaving around bedtime aslo. good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN