Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

i only have $330

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have Thanksgiving to buy, plus a house of 5 people. What can I do to make $330 last for an entire month and still buy Thanksgiving? Err. Holidays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:49 AM

was about to say most of month is gone for worrying about thanksgiving, now for month of december i have no clue.  I would see if there is any aid for the children to at least have a good holiday season.  The adults can just be happy they are alive.

GreenEyes8707
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:51 AM
A month from the 17th to the 17th. My DH family has stuck us for buying the dinner.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this

A family of 5 can easily be fed one dinner for that amount of money.  Everything would be cheaper homemade.  I was presuming you meant food for rest of month as well as dinner plus gifts.

Quoting GreenEyes8707:

A month from the 17th to the 17th. My DH family has stuck us for buying the dinner.

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM
I would buy thing that you can make multiple meals from. And buy cheap. Most frozen turkeys are on sale now. Buy the cheapest one, no one will know if you season it up. If you're getting a 15# turkey get a 20-25#, make turkey ala king, turkey pot pie, save the carcass ( you can freeze it) and use it to make a turkey soup.
Same thing with a roasting chicken, and a roast beef.
Buy 2/for sales, they're even better with coupons.
If you can have your in laws bring pies. If not buy bruised apples you're going to cook them anyway it won't matter. Chocolate pudding is fairly inexpensive try a chocolate cream pie.
My dh is a better shopper than I am, I learned from him. Hope some of this helped.
Happy thanksgiving
peaches_04
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:11 AM
You can make left over meals with left over turkey
Maybe have each guest family bring a side dish
DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Could your DH mention to his mother that money is tight and ask her if she could help out with the cost? That's not a lot to get you through the month with 5 to feed. I would ask everyone to bring something to make it easier. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that. You might even luck out and someone will offer to bring the turkey--which is usually the most expensive part of the dinner. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and remember: the important part is family being together so even if you get no help and can't afford to do it up like your MIL might, it doesn't matter. ♥Hugs♥

Quoting GreenEyes8707:

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Only buy what you can afford. If your in-laws stuck you with buying Thanksgiving dinner and aren't willing to contribute, even though you can't afford it, then serve an ultra-simple meal and just explain that this was all you could afford with such short notice and no help from the rest of the family. There's no law that says Thanksgiving dinner has to be a certain type of menu. If what you can afford is mac and cheese, or spaghetti with marinara and garlic bread, then so be it. Maybe they'll think twice before doing that again.

If they really want to have a full Thanksgiving menu, then they can help pay for it or bring some of the dinner. What about doing a potluck-style Thanksgiving? You make the turkey, everything else is provided by guests?

Quoting GreenEyes8707:

HyperMom38
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Do you have an Aldi's store nearby?  They have the cheapest food around.  If not, buy the biggest turkey you can afford.  Make homemade baked mac and cheese as a side dish or potatoes from a box.  Call all the family and ask them to bring a dish to pass- a side like rolls, salad; a dessert or a drink like soda, juice or milk.  Good luck.  Money is tight here too.

KimmyShaw
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I think that is totally do able. The turkey can be several meals. You could probably do Thanksgiving dinner for  less than $50, that leaves PLENTY left over for the next 2 weeks.

Acid
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Don't buy food from a box.

In the first place, it's not  food, it's chemically laden garbage.  Secondly, it's far more expensive than buy a pound of potatos.  Third, it will last one meal, whereas the pound of potatos will last at least three or four, or more.

Quoting HyperMom38:

Do you have an Aldi's store nearby?  They have the cheapest food around.  If not, buy the biggest turkey you can afford.  Make homemade baked mac and cheese as a side dish or potatoes from a box.  Call all the family and ask them to bring a dish to pass- a side like rolls, salad; a dessert or a drink like soda, juice or milk.  Good luck.  Money is tight here too.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)