Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
I have Thanksgiving to buy, plus a house of 5 people. What can I do to make $330 last for an entire month and still buy Thanksgiving? Err. Holidays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
jslpruitt
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Buy cheap, or whoever is coming say if ur coming bring a dish

GreenEyes8707
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:04 PM
Thank you everybody. But, his sister has left it to us to buy everything, even made us a list. I'm like, we can't do this. And she is going to bitch if what she wants and got.We also have to buy half of Christmas. I will use everyone's advice and hopefully I will be able to do this. I guess I will be lacking on healthy food to make his family happy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BaBa1123
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Even when money is tight and you have kids you should still enjoy the holidays.   Like most of the moms said make a nice dinner, buy what you can afford and make a lot of left overs.  Tell your inlaws that you will be happy to have the dinner at your house but they must contribute whether it be side dishes, deserts or bread but they need to bring something.  Most families do bring to the dinner a side dish or desert or bread so this should not even be an issue.  Enjoy your holidays!

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I'm not sure, bump!

stellarmom1
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

honestly who cares about his sister?  Why isn't she contributing? Personally I wouldn't allow anyone in my home treat me that way.  Buy what you can afford, make your own list not what his sister wants.  It's your house.  Why can't anyone help out with buying ingredients for dishes?

Quoting GreenEyes8707:

Thank you everybody. But, his sister has left it to us to buy everything, even made us a list. I'm like, we can't do this. And she is going to bitch if what she wants and got.We also have to buy half of Christmas. I will use everyone's advice and hopefully I will be able to do this. I guess I will be lacking on healthy food to make his family happy.

consumerswin
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Why don't you send me a private e-mail of your expenses for the next 2 wks and I'll see if I can tweak it for you. One of the businesses I own and run is an Accounting service.

Let me know.

Chloe

CoeyG
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Quoting peaches_04:

You can make left over meals with left over turkey
Maybe have each guest family bring a side dish

I was going to say have the guests bring something to pass.  

DarlaHood
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I would tell DH's family that Thanksgiving is pot luck.  And assign specific dishes, so you will have what you need.

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:10 AM
Bullsh*t! This is your house and your thanksgiving. They volunteered you to host. Screw his whiney sister! You plan a menu you can execute and afford. And if she gets to be an ass over that have your hubby ready to tell her to knock it off or hit the road. That would never occur in my home, and neither family would even think of being jerks like that!

Quoting GreenEyes8707:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlepinkrose
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:39 AM

That is just rudeness and you nor your hubby need to put up with it.  Not even to keep peace with the family.  You need to do what you can afford and if she complains tell her in front of everyone that you already explained to her at the beginning that you could not afford it and she choose not to listen so she is getting what you can afford sorry.   That may stop the complaining.  If not then oh well.  We cannot choose are family but we can have some say so in the relationship.  This sounds a little volatile.  No one deserves that kind of treatment during the holidays or any day.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)