Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Any one else having problems with their children being sick constantly in Kindergarten?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is my son's first year in school and it seems like every other week he is sick. I volunteer in his class twice  a week and I do see lots of sick kids present and I also see lots of them coming back from the nurses office sick.... It has gotten to the point where he has missed so much and I have had a call with his VP in regards to his absences. First I do not believe in sending my kids to school sick...! And I don't understand why everyone else seems too. It seems like I am sending my child well to school just so he can come back sick?.. He is top of his class and just won his first award for reading. He reads and is well rounded on everything that is taught and will be taught in kinder. I home school him so he has become very advanced.

With that being said I have been talked to by his VP in regards to all his absences.. By law they do a family check by phone to see why the extreme absences. Mind you I am always volunteering and very involved with his class when he is present. I explained that he has had a rough time in school including catching PINK EYE (which no one even bothered to call me to pick him up! Eyes all read and with discharge? Really!  I advised her  that he brings sanitizer and uses it throughout the days and I have even offered  his teacher for me to come after school daily and clean the children's table tops etc.. I can't help when my chid gets sick and well if he's sick enough as a mother I feel he is best at home. I do and can not see me sending my child to school when he is feeling so horrible.. What kind of a mother would I be. He has all his homework turned in and has passed his progress report wth Flying Colors....

My son is home today as he has actually been to school these past couple of days sick but last night he was getting that horrible cough so I kept him home. I am awaiting a call from his VP to inform her of his absence once again.. I feel like I am walking on egg shells or doing something wrong by doing something Right..

Any advice of any other mothers going through this would be GREATLY appreciated!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It is pretty common. 

It's equally common for people moving from a small town to a city spending a lot of time dealing with the germs they've never encountered before... or for people who move from a small-population school to a large university... 

Lots of kids get this when they first start daycare. Those who didn't do daycare do it in preschool. Those who don't do preschool do it when they get to kindergarten...

LuvAustin
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Thank you for the post! I do realize and understand that but I don't feel I should be given grief about keeping my son home when his is sick. But it seems like it will be a problem moving forward? And I have a problem wih that..

We did just move here right before he started school from a large community to a farm like community sooo I take that into consideration as well.  :/

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Mine were sick in preschool. Gotta build immunity. My oldesr was in daycare so she was sick a lot then. Once school started, not much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this
If my kids had a cold they go to school. Not throwing up or fever they attend. They cannot miss for every cough or cold. Such is life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rowdys.Mommy
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Did he ever go to daycare or anything? He needs to build his immunity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM
I sort of stopped paying attention at "he's at he top of his class." He's in kindergarten.
Seriously though, if you aren't keeping him home for every sniffle then you're fine. Vomiting and fever should keep him home. Basically, if an OTC remedy can alleviate the symptoms (other than fever) he should go. Lots of kids have trouble the first time they're exposed to a group setting like that. DS has been in preschool for 2 years so kinder was no biggie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvAustin
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

No daycare or preschool as I am a SAHM. We did and do have playdates etc but that was the extent of it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
I was a sahm and mine went to preschool for 3 years.

Quoting LuvAustin:

No daycare or preschool as I am a SAHM. We did and do have playdates etc but that was the extent of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyTe684
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL Welcome to the club. If there is no fever, vomiting or any other ailment, he goes to school.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
His being smart has nothing to do with anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)