Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My Nanny-how long before I let her go?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM
  • 70 Replies

Sorry so long... 

I have 3 kids, 3 and 6 ytear old little girls and a 5 month old baby boy.

About a month ago we hired a new nanny.  She is only 19, but she seemed very eager at the time of her interview and has a lot of energy which is something that's very important while running after 3 kids.  

Well in the past moth there have been a million tiny things that all add up and driv me insane.  She does not pay attention to detail and has a very short attention span.  I will specifically instruct her on something in detail, to come home and find out that she seemingly did not hear a word I said.  

Here are some problems I've had so far:  

-I specifically told her (in writing) to give the baby formula in the morning, and breastmilk/formula mixed for his 2 afternoon bottles.  Instead she gives him all breastmilk in the morning and formula the rest of the day. 

-Today I found a 1/2 bottle that was very watered down, she has apparently not been adding enough formula to the water when making his bottles, which again is something that I wrote down for her. 

-He is on medicine for his reflux and started a new RX the week she started.  It's a 30 day prescription and the bottle is not even half gone yet, which obviously points to her NOT giving him his meds.  She does however WRITE DOWN that she gives it to him 2x a day. WTH?!

-I've told her my daughter can only have PB&J once a week for lunch, I've written this down and told her 3-4 different times.  This is the first week she actually listened.  Maybe she's just a slow learner?

-She runs the dishwasher when there's a TON of room left for more dishes.  The first time I let her know that she can wait until it's full (saves water and soap).  Again, this is something I've mentioned on several occasions and she ran it just this past Wednesday with the top and bottom racks nearly empty.  She also does not rinse the dishes whatsoever, so the food gets stuck all over everything and dries-I spent last weekend re-washing nearly all the dishes in my cabinets, I have also asked her not to do this, but to no avail-she does not listen.

-She is very active with the kids-she takes them to the park sometimes twice a day, which at first was great-until I found out she was meeting her firends at the park and stopping by her house nearly every day (she lives around the corner).

-She does not sweep the floor-this is one of my pet peeves.  She will bake cookies etc with the kids (which I LOVE) but then I get home from work and have to wipe down counters and sweep sprinkles off of the floor.  

-My kitten got out of the house the other day, and she claims she did not know.  At teh same time my 3 year old is telling me they saw the kitten at the park-so who do I believe since I don't trust the nanny? Our door is tricky (which I've TOLD HER-see a pattern here?) so you have to practically slam it.  And I think they went to the park and the door blew open, and the cat got out.  But instead of owning up to the door being open, she doesn't want to look bad and LIES to me-which is really all that's making her look bad.

I know there's more, but you get the point lol!!  On the bright side, my kids LOVE her!  She does bake with them and take them to the park and on walks on a regular basis.  She even takes my 3 year old to chick-fil-a and mcdonalds here and there for lunch.  She is pretty horrible about everything else tho, and I'm considering letting her go.  She did just buy a car, so I will feel horrible, but can I keep her here and let her drive mysef crazy??  What would you do?

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Give her a week to adhere to your wishes
Write them all down again. If at the end of the week she hadn't caught on let her go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
me-n-my3babes
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Thank you!  I was thinking about having a meeting with her next week and goig over everything.  I'm going to type everything up contract style.  Hopefully she will listen.  I don't want to fire her, but I will if I have to.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Give her a week or two of pay and dismiss her.  It sounds to me as though you have already given her ample instructions and reminders.

jhslove
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Are all of these instructions you've given her in writing? Some people really need to have it in front of them; that's how I am. If I were her, I would have taken notes or asked you to write down exactly what you want.

If you've given her written instructions and she's still not following them, I would sit down and have a frank discussion with her. Tell her exactly what you need her to do better (again, give it to her in writing, too), and document the conversation. If, after a week or two, she hasn't improved, then let her go.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
If she has only been with you a month, do a formal review. Sit her down and go over all this with her. Then give her a time frame to shape up or ship out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Sit down and have a serious talk with her. Have all of your expectaions in writing. Have her sign a copy fo you and a copy for her. If she isn't better by the end of next week she knows she is out of a job.

hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd make sure random drug tests were in that contract...that level of ditziness would need to be explored ....ya know visiting that friend every day on the way from the park? Just sayin...
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
O.k. sprinkles on the floor and the dishwasher I would let go.
However, I think you need to cut your losses.
1. She showing you a history of lies. If she lies on the little things, what happens when something big happens. Trust needs to be a high priority, your trusting her with your children.
2. Not mixing formula right can harm your baby. Not giving him is meds is harming your baby, plus add on that she's lies about it and writes that she does give it to him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I'd make sure random drug tests were in that contract...that level of ditziness would need to be explored ....ya know visiting that friend every day on the way from the park? Just sayin...
illinoismommy83
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

So, she is an amazing nanny who does fun stuff with your kids and has them active all of the time, but she sucks at cleaning? How about you just stop asking her to clean? Have her use her cleaning time to do more with your kids. Then you won't be angry that she can't clean well.

But the baby's medicine is something you need to crack down on. Maybe set the medicine out in a pill box set up by day and time or something so you know if it was given or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN