Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

17 year old sister Interfering while I was disciplining my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

I am currently livid with my 17 yr old sister. I am at the lake w my family for the weekend with my 4 year old daughter and she has been being a pistol all day and when I discipline I do not spank hit or verbally abuse my daughter. My daughter got upset bc I said it was time for a nap and no we weren't gunna make a tent so she says I'm gunna go sleep n there ( the other room with my sister) and I said no bryleigh you are not, I normally wouldn't care but she had not been listening all day. So she starts on her tantrum and screams at me I'm quiet letting her calm down and my sister comes in picks her up and starts for the other room. I said don't bring her in there she's in trouble and I told her no. My sister looks at me and says your not my mother and I don't care if she sleeps w me... Um I snap and say give me my daughter and she walks out with her so I follow and try to get her to let her go. And my sister starts screaming saying your scaring your daughter. And proceed to walk out of our cabin, with my child. Not wanting to cause any more problems with my daughter being in the middle I let them leave.  I honestly don't know what to do, this is absolutely unacceptable I am going to talk to our father but I know he won't do anything about my sisters complete lack of respect for me. 

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
opal10161973
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I was going to post something just like this.  Who the eff does this girl think she is?  She is the AUNT, NOT the mother.  NO, OP can't tell her what to do under other circumstances, but she sure can when OP's DD is involved. 

I would have snatched that child out of her arms and left already! 

Quoting snowangel1979:

I would have said no I'm not YOUR mother but I'm HER mother.

I would also let your sister know next time she leaves the house with your DD without your permission, It's kidnapping and you will call the police.

I would talk to your dad. If he doesn't do anything, pack you bags and go home. Cut your losses untill she grows up and/or your dad grows a pair.

robyann
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:56 PM

First remember your sister is only 17, not that this is an excuse, but it will determine how you deal with her. You need to have a talk with her alone, away from your dd. Explain to her that by her doing that she over ruled you. That you are the mother and you make the rules. No ifs ands or buts. Tell her this was very disrespectful to you, and confusing to your dd. Tell her this just shows you that she is still immature and not ready to  be making decisions for a child. Tell her her place is the aunt, and that role is to be supportive of the mother, and a postive influence for the child. GL

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

mamalusbear
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM

She needs to respect that you're the parent and not her.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I would have told her to butt the hell out and then I would have told her mother to tell her to get out of your business of diciplining your child.  

Swtlips75015
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I did say exactly that. And children have tantrums I can deal with that screaming and fit throwing its apart of growing up, my issue is w my sister I dk what to do to make her understand she's the aunt I'm the mother.

Swtlips75015
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Exactly! And I would have left but we road out with them! And my phone is dead w no charger, we r at a lake in the middle of no where!

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Oh HELL NO!!  She did NOT give birth to that child and has absolutly NO RIGHT to interfere with the raising of your daughter.  Your sister needs to move out.

Meloney413
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM

My sister tryed this once..  The most dangerous place is between a mother & her child ... Best believe my sister got an  ASSSSSSS WHOOPPPINGGGG ...  my daughter doesnt try going to my sister anymore because she seen with her own eyes that NOBODY over rules what mommy says..  * .

p.s this is like story of my life my dad wouldnt do anything either

georgeisfun
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Well, this would never happen with my sister, but I if it did I probably would have stayed nice and calm and said something along the lines of, "Get your hands off my child before I break them."

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I agree, her behavior was unacceptable.  When the child was out of earshot it would be time to calmly tell the sister that she should not interfere with your way of handling your child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured