Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

For women with pierced ears, question about baby piercing.

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
  • 60 Replies
My baby is 5 months old I'm thinking about piercing her ears but hubby and I can't come to a decision. When were your ears pierced? When would you/did you pierce your girls ears? Would you change when you had it done or did it to your girls?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missamanda86
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my ears pierced when I was old enough to ask, and I did the same for my daughter. She wanted hers pierced at 3, and that was her 3rd birthday present. 

EmmaGlenn20
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

My daughter is 13 months old and we haven't pierced her ears yet. I think we may wait until she's 2 as sort of a 'big girl' present after her baby sister is born.

AleaKat
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I was 5.
I don't agree with piercing baby's ears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShhhItsASecret
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I had mine done at 4 or 5 years. Got my girls done at about 6 months
cmabbott
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I had mine done when I was a few months old, my oldest DD we had hers pierced at 3 months, youngest DD at 14 months.  I honestly wish we would have done youngest DD's sooner but DH didn't want them pierced that young.

merinasmommy
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
i had mine done as a baby and we pierced merinas's at 6 weeks.we got them done at frosted which is basicly clairs.she did great and didnt cry she also didnt mess with them so they didnt get infected.i wouldnt change it because she is almost 2 now and loves changing her earings and i think they are adorable.my dad got my sisters pierced like a month ago(the girls are 18 hours apart) and they already took them out because she wouldnt leave them alone so they got infected
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmommy09
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I got mine pierced the first time at 5 when I asked for it. I have 2 girls and will only pierce their ears if they ask for it as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
squeakers2
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
2 moms liked this
The first time I had my ears pierced, I was around 2 weeks. I would absolutely change the way my ears were pierced. Piercing guns are extremely harmful. You are taking a blunt (compared to a piercing needle) object and forcing it through the skin. They don't cut cleanly through the skin, but rather force the skin to the side. Think trying to cut a steak with a spoon. This causes longer heal times and more swelling. The studs used by guns are extremely short and do not allow proper room for swelling. Swelling can cause the skin to grow over the back of the earring. My daughter is 3 and just now asked about getting her ears pierced. I plan on talking to her dad and her drs (she is on immune suppressant drugs) about it then I will find a reputable piercer who will use a needle instead of a piercing gun.

Here's more information from the Association of Professional Piercers.
http://www.safepiercing.org/piercing/faq/#guns
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I was 4 years old and they got severely infected.  I had to let them close up and 28 years later I still have scar tissue in one of my ears.  I did get them re-pierced when I was 8 and was more mature so I was able to take care of them.  My dd is 3 and we haven't pierced her ears yet.  Don't plan on it until she is at least 7.

mama2my2boys
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:44 PM
i got mine when i was about 6....i got my daughters done after her 3month shots
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN