Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

help me with my kittens eyes =( please

Posted by   + Show Post
I just got 2 nnew lil kittens ..... their eyes were crusted up and the person I got them from said it was cause the mother wasn't cleanin them .... I've been cleanin their eyes couple times a day ... I looked it up on my phone (limited internet) and read somethin bout apple cider vinegar .... so I did what the posts were sayin to do ... needless to say they can open their eyes now but they still look sooooo awful =( its sad and I don't have the money to take them to a vet ..... does any1 have any advise for me?? Please help my kittens its just sooooooo sad I wanna b a good momma to them and fix their eyes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Replies (31-40):
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM

You could of used natural remedies because in your own words there are always natural remedies.  And I saw the pictures of the kitties which you claim look BETTER that isn't "crusties" its an infection which could easily blind or kill the kittens.  for YOU you seem to have no problem running to a emergency room when you have no money but these animals that didn't ask for you are stuck suffering.  that you can't see the irony doesn't surprise me

Quoting Had3girls:

What does this have to do with kittens? a human having a uti and a cats eyes bein crusty r 2 completely different things ....

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Much better .... thank god for antibiotics .... was on my way to fill my script and my car started fishtailing but steering wheel didn't move .... I was freakin out sooooo bad !!!!!!! I need a new barring .... they were about to close and can't fix it till Monday =/ and I was 50min from home =/ I was hurtin so bad and then got stranded .... thank god for my mom and her friend ... they picked me up and took me to lunch and took me to get my script and now I'm headed home .... my bed is screamin my name !!!!! Lol sorry I'm tired and rambling .... thanks for askin how I was =)

barefootmommi
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I'm sorry but I tend to agree this momma

Quoting erinsmom1964:

You cant afford a vet but thought it was a good idea to take on 2 suck kitties? Your not helping your prolonging their suffering. Find a cat rescue and turn them over before you either kill them or cause severe eye damage that leads to blindness or even removal of the eye or infection that then the brain. If you really want ti help them you will stop bring selfish and give them to someone who can properly care for them. If you tell me where your at I'll help you find a rescue

Quoting Had3girls:

I've had them for almost 2 wks .... they are bout month and half maybe 2 wks old I'm guessin ..... no I haven't got them their shots I don't know if the other guy did but I doubt it he didn't seem to care much .... its so sad .... I can't afford a vet so I gotta figure out a vet free option

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Take them to the vet. The idiot you got them from lied and they could loose their vision. I know because I adopted a kitty that happened to also the URI can easily be deadly to small kittens. How old are they? Why haven't they had their shots yet?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Had3girls
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:06 PM
This post is for advise not critisizm and publicly posting private messages that have nothing to to with the current situation .... my kittens have crusty eyes .... they r eating freat they play around and jump and climb on stuff constantly .... its not like they r dying and can't move and besides that their eyes r getting better every day and haven't been crusted shut at all since I fist cleaned them with apple cider vinegar
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessecutez
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Are you sure this cat didn't get sprayed?

He needs antibiotics either way. Is there any chance of vet in a week?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM

How to Treat Cats With Upper Respiratory Disease

Coughingsneezing, runny eyes and nose, and possibly a fever are all the familiar symptoms of a cold. Unlike in humans, however, most feline "colds" have known (and preventable) causes, usually one of three kinds of viruses. Safe and reliable vaccines are available to prevent them all.

Even vaccinated cats may have upper respiratory infections, though, and most will resolve within a few days to two weeks. Severe infections or those in cats with weakened immune systems may last several weeks. Althoughantibiotics won't kill the viruses, they are often prescribed to treat or prevent secondary infections that take hold when the virus damages tissue in the nose, eyes, sinuses, mouth, and possibly even the lungs of an affected cat.

Early signs of upper respiratory disease include sneezing, watery eyes, and a clear discharge from the nose. The cat usually runs a fever and may salivate. As the infection advances, the lining of the eyes may get inflamed (conjunctivitis), giving the eyes a "meaty" appearance; the nasal discharge contains pus; the tearing from the eyes turns white; and ulcers may appear in the mouth or on the tongue.

Advanced symptoms -- most commonly seen if the disease is left untreated -- include the eyelid being glued shut by pus and discharge with ulceration and destruction of the eyeball, loss of appetite due to obstruction of the nose by mucous and pus, and pneumonia. Viral pneumonia can be fatal and about one in five cats that develop it will die.

What to Do

Be sure she has her shots. Current vaccinations are the best protection against upper respiratory viruses. Even indoor cats who never have contact with another cat need their shots since the viruses are carried through the air.

Don't wait for it to go away. Even though many upper respiratory infections clear up on their own, don't assume this one will. Notify your vet. The virus can attack the eyeball, causing permanent damage or blindness. Also, a cat with an untreated cold will stop eating or may develop a fatal case of pneumonia.

Don't spread it around. Upper respiratory viruses are highly contagious. A cat with an active case must be kept away from other cats. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after petting, medicating, or otherwise working with the sick cat.

When to Call the Vet

If you call the vet when you see the early symptoms of a cold, the odds are you can prevent the worst-case scenario. Veterinarians can recommend a vaccine that can prevent feline "colds." This vaccination may not always work, but it can improve your cat's chances for a healthy recovery. At any rate, once any of the later symptoms appear (pus in the discharge from nose or eyes, ulcers in the mouth or on the tongue, loss of appetite), get the cat to the vet immediately.

DANGER LEVEL: Upper respiratory infections are fairly common and mild ones are only moderately dangerous. However, if left untreated or found in very young or elderly cats or cats with weakened immune systems, complications from what started out as a simple cold can be fatal.

Cats are just as susceptible to diseases as their owners. Just as there are steps you take in your life to prevent disease, there are steps you can take to keep your cat healthy. But, as with any serious disease, you should immediately see a medical professional if you suspect a serious problem.

©Publications International, Ltd.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Those are not private messages they are what you posted in a PUBLIC forum.  By the nature od a PUBLIC forum not every one is going to agree with your neglect of these kittens.  BOTTOM LINE.  You can SEE those kittens are sick.  SEE IT

Quoting Had3girls:

This post is for advise not critisizm and publicly posting private messages that have nothing to to with the current situation .... my kittens have crusty eyes .... they r eating freat they play around and jump and climb on stuff constantly .... its not like they r dying and can't move and besides that their eyes r getting better every day and haven't been crusted shut at all since I fist cleaned them with apple cider vinegar

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Quoting Had3girls:

Wow your uneducated statements are scary.  They don't lay around until very close to death sometimes they can be playing and eating lat down to sleep and die.  i have seen it more than once in kittens....my own kitties had a littermate that passed just like this from URI.  One of mine lost its eyesight.  EDUCATE YOURSELF

rissamom224
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Pill smush it up and put it in the food.

Quoting Had3girls:

Human sinus meds ??? Like liquid or crushed up pill?? Yes I know only 25% of human dose .... the apple cider vinegar has done wonders they look SOOOOO much better than they did a wk ago

Quoting rissamom224:

Its is a sinus infection!

My kitten had the same thing, look for disinfectant eye drops you can also give them human sinus meds but only give them a half 25% of what you'd take.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AuntyEm774
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM
We always used the oxytetracycline capsules normally used in fish tanks. We just dissolved one in milk and did the same for five days or so. We also kept washing their eyes with a warm wet rag.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Call a vet and ask for a payment plan or if they could do a free charity visit. And please, start saving to spay or neuter them. That's one of the most important things a pet owner can do for their pets. Call the ASPCA and find a spay/neuter discount program. God bless. Look up Rev 5:13. It is proof, in the bible, that there truly are pets in heaven. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN