Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Question for Dog owners...PLEASE HELP MY MOM!!! PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM
  • 34 Replies

My mother recently had a dog that passed from lymphoma. From the time the dog presented symptoms to her passing was under a week. My mom has a feeling that fast progression has to do with her vaccines...she has done some research and noticed that when it comes on this quickly that the owners usually got the dog vaccinated shortly before. So do any of you have a similar situation? She is now debating on whether vaccines beyond rabies are beneficial or harmful to a dog if they are prone to lymphomas/cancers...this was her 2nd dog under similar circumstances.

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Whisper85
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I've never experienced this, so a BUMP for you.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't experieced this or known of anyone who has BUT I do hear alot about getting titters of dogs blood levels done before allowing any vaccines.  It has been shown that many times the vaxs are actually good for alot longer than thought so if you titter the blood you may very well find out dog is covered and doesn't need another vax which would be over vaxing and would make sense it could cause a bad reaction.  also dogs just like humans some can not handle the vaxs, some have adverse reactions. Also it would make sense that if the condition already existed unknown that giving a vax which causes an immune response may let a disease or condition flourish or gain the upper hand as all together its just the tipping point for the immune system?

georgeisfun
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I had a dog who got cancer and about two weeks after he showed symptoms we had to put him to sleep. The thing is, cancer can move really fast and with a dog you're not necessarily going to notice anything until it's advanced.

With our dog we noticed a lump about the size of a golf ball on his chest. We had it removed and the tumor they took out was slightly bigger than a softball - it was all growing into his chest cavity and only a tiny portion was noticable from the exterior. X-rays showed it had already spread to his lungs. Our vet said it had probably been growing for months, maybe even a year, before we could feel it from the outside.

EDIT: Forgot to add the whole point of my post!! Which is that this dog was NOT update date on his vaccines at all. I don't think he was even up on his rabies. He was actually my mom's dog, and she doesn't vaccinate her animals.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Honestly I have heard of problems resulting from too many vaccines, in cats they actually started doing the FeLV vaccines differently because I believe it was causing cancer. Also generally speaking they have exact places each vaccine in each animal is given so that if a tumor or something were to develop then they could potentially know why. When I had my dogs I only did their rabies every 3 years (some places do require it yearly though its rediculous you have to do it if its the law). As puppies, yes I'd recommend those shots, but as adults the only significant would be rabis and maybe distempter as well. However, if the dog is going to be around a lot of other dogs, especially in a vet clinic overnight, doggie daycare, going to the groomer, etc. then the kennel cough vaccine needs to be given (bordatella) but this is put up the noise, not injected, so its a lot safer I suppose. So yes I think it is safer to not keep giving a ton of vaccines.

Jess0915
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Oh how sad. I'm sorry for her loss. I don't really have an answer, sorry. I did lose a cat just this week though. I had to put him down because he had a malignant tumor under his tongue. It was inoperable, painful, and eventually would have made it impossible for him to eat. Now I'm worried about what may have caused my cat's tumor. So I definitely understand being concerned. He was fully vaccinated. 

CoeyG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Nope never had that problem and I've owned dogs from the time I was three years old and they've all had their vaccines.  In fact my Sophie just had her's last month and is fine.  

sabrtooth1
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I'm 60 years old, and have always had 2 to 4 dogs at the same time, so to date, I've had 14 dogs, and about 6 cats.  Of all of those, only ONE died of cancer, and that was a female collie/shep I had as a kid, who was NOT vaccinated, nor was she spayed.  And even so, she lived about 12 years.  ALL my animals lived to a ripe old age, many were rescues, and all were vaccinated and vetted on a regular basis.  

BTW,  lymphoma does NOT go from 0 to 60 in less than a week.  Your mom simply did not pay enough attention to her dogs, to recognize the early symptoms.

mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
I put my dog down a year ago in dec. she had bone cancer. She only had her rabies up to date. She couldn't have anything but that because she had a reaction each time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
I've heard of it before, actually from my vet.

My vet is very cautious with vaccines. He sits down and goes threw what he feels is needed and what he feels is unnecessary. He also is not quick to give boosters. He wants to wait past the deadline with all expect rabies every 3 years just because of the legal part of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Ditto

Quoting Whisper85:

I've never experienced this, so a BUMP for you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN