Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

thanksgiving turkey in a crock pot? will it work? suggestions?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • 13 Replies
It's just going to be me and the little mama for Thanksgiving since my husband will be at work for the early black Friday openings , ughh boo Walmart! Anyway I was thinking of purchasing turkey breasts and slow cooking them in the crock pot so im not breaking my back the day before and day of. Im already making brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes, ham, beets, stuffing, apple pie, and maybe pecan pie.

What suggestions do you have about cooking turkey breasts in the slow cooker? How much liquid would be good so it's moist and not a stew type? Do they even sell turkey breasts alone? Please suggestions :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:15 PM
I think a really small turkey in the oven is a better idea.

You can use the leftovers for lots of stuff and it only takes a couple hours. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM
Why not have thanksgiving his day off that week? Dh works for Walmart and that's what we do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:18 PM
Agree with that too.

I work tue wed thu nights this week, so we have tday on the weekends.

My family today, his next sat.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Why not have thanksgiving his day off that week? Dh works for Walmart and that's what we do.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovehimforever
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM
3 moms liked this
I do it. With a turkey breast that is around 5 pounds. I put mine in there with about a cup of water and add seasonings. Then set it on high for the day. Once the timer pops I turn it to warm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
simpleesr23
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:20 PM
That would be a good idea.but my he sleeps whenever he gets the chance since he's in Walmart night crew and has another job during the day. When he's off one job he's working the other one still. It sucks but we weren't expecting Walmart to want them in at 7pm.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

simpleesr23
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I can't find any small ones around here. They're all real huge and I feel bad buying/cooking so much food :(

Quoting AM-BRAT:

You can use the leftovers for lots of stuff and it only takes a couple hours. :)
CoeyG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

The breasts in the crock pot is great.  I don't add water though, I add chicken broth.  

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM

It isn't what you asked, but I cook the turkey the day before and slice it up, then on Thanksgiving day all I have to do is heat it, none of the mess.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
14lbs was ours today. Sorry you can't work it out, gl.

Quoting simpleesr23:

I can't find any small ones around here. They're all real huge and I feel bad buying/cooking so much food :(

Quoting AM-BRAT:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
simpleesr23
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM
That's another option, I'll see how work treats me for the next couple days and hopefully I have enough time to get a whole turkey into the mix.

Quoting Bmat:

It isn't what you asked, but I cook the turkey the day before and slice it up, then on Thanksgiving day all I have to do is heat it, none of the mess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)