Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coconut or Almond milk? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM
  • 21 Replies

My daughter is doing a case study for Complex Motor Stereotypy. We are doing Chiropractic care and diet changes so far to see if there is any change. 
So her doc recommended our first diet change be to remove cows milk from her diet. We were using organic milk, but she said to just remove it completely. 

So first we switched out her chocolate milk, she gets one tiny (like 4-6 oz) cup in the morning with breakfast, with coconut chocolate milk.
She will only drink it if it is with a straw, she said it tastes weird drinking it normally. 
So we just switched out the white milk with almond milk. It is AMAZING! We all love it, but I am worried about what it will taste like when I make macaroni and cheese with it (The one thing we haven't changed over yet is cheeses).

So my question is!!!!!

What do you prefer and why? Coconut or Almond milk? 

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:05 PM

In this house we love almond milk!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Do you cook with it?? Does the almond taste come through the food?

Quoting MrsApple:

Jynnifer292
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Almond milk tastes great but it is very thick. It takes some getting used to. It is MUCH better for you than cow's milk though. Coconut milk I like to use as a substitute on cereal but it has to be a bland cereal or granola type because it tastes like coconut.  I prefer almond milk for drinking but have never cooked with it. My kids don't like either.

MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yeah,in some dishes I can tell a slight difference in taste but in most I can't.

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Do you cook with it?? Does the almond taste come through the food?

Quoting MrsApple:

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Thanks! 

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Almond milk tastes great but it is very thick. It takes some getting used to. It is MUCH better for you than cow's milk though. Coconut milk I like to use as a substitute on cereal but it has to be a bland cereal or granola type because it tastes like coconut.  I prefer almond milk for drinking but have never cooked with it. My kids don't like either.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM

I have found that using other than dairy milk in mac and cheese sometimes doesn't taste as well.  I am also wondering about this chiro who doesn't know that dairy milk is not necessary for human consumption.  A chiro should know that milk was only intrduced as a food supplement for babies in the late 1800s, when women had to work in the fields as soon after birthing as possible and it became more popular in the 20th century during war time when women were woking in male dominated positions because the men were all at war and they couldn't breastfeed on the job.  So milk a based formula was required.  Dairy milk then became a staple in the home.  Truth is that only infants need breast milk and that milk should be coming from their mother's breasts and not from a cow's.  Cow's mik is produced to feed calves not human babies.  This is why cows are kept pregnant, to produce more milk.  Most human as they age begin to show an intolerance for dairy milk.  and dairy products as well.  Being lacotose intolerant is actually the "norm" as adults can get the cacium and vitamins from eating the right foods.  So for a Chiro to not know tis...I think I'd find another Chiro.  

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM
I have no clue where you read that my daughter's doctor didn't know that....but okay.
She told us to take out dairy completely. We chose to let our daughter have almond or coconut milk for breakfasts, in her cereal and to drink.
My question was which one you preferred, if at all. Not whether or not our doctor is capable or not.
She is trying different diet changes to see if it impacts my daughters neurological disorder, not to see if she has a lactose issue.

Quoting CoeyG:

I have found that using other than dairy milk in mac and cheese sometimes doesn't taste as well.  I am also wondering about this chiro who doesn't know that dairy milk is not necessary for human consumption.  A chiro should know that milk was only intrduced as a food supplement for babies in the late 1800s, when women had to work in the fields as soon after birthing as possible and it became more popular in the 20th century during war time when women were woking in male dominated positions because the men were all at war and they couldn't breastfeed on the job.  So milk a based formula was required.  Dairy milk then became a staple in the home.  Truth is that only infants need breast milk and that milk should be coming from their mother's breasts and not from a cow's.  Cow's mik is produced to feed calves not human babies.  This is why cows are kept pregnant, to produce more milk.  Most human as they age begin to show an intolerance for dairy milk.  and dairy products as well.  Being lacotose intolerant is actually the "norm" as adults can get the cacium and vitamins from eating the right foods.  So for a Chiro to not know tis...I think I'd find another Chiro.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Quoting Mommy2justone:

I have no clue where you read that my daughter's doctor didn't know that....but okay.
She told us to take out dairy completely. We chose to let our daughter have almond or coconut milk for breakfasts, in her cereal and to drink.
My question was which one you preferred, if at all. Not whether or not our doctor is capable or not.
She is trying different diet changes to see if it impacts my daughters neurological disorder, not to see if she has a lactose issue.

Quoting CoeyG:

Excise me I misread however, I will state that almond milk, coconut milk, rice milk and soy milk are not dairy products and yes they do taste different, you can get cholcoate soy and vanilla soy I don't know about the others because I drink soy milk myself.  Vanilla soy is great in cereals however it isn't all that great in mac and cheese 

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I like both for different reasons but for cooking I stick with the Almond because it's most like regular cow's milk, unless the recipe specifically calls for coconut milk.

CrystalDawn2506
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM

If you use the unsweetened almond milk the taste doesn't come through. I cook with the unsweetened almond milk all the time but we drink the vanilla almond milk lol. I can't drink cow's milk because I suddenly became allergic. I can eat cheeses in moderation and nothing happens but if I drink milk I get so sick on my stomach for days ugh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured