Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you give this to your DD?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 14 Replies

My oldest is 9 and her doc has pointed out that she is now pre-menstrual (shudder). I have talked to her about babies and her body but I'm not sure how much stuck, kwim?

When I was going through it I was given a book called "Love and Sex: The truth about your body" (or something like that) and it really answered some questions I had that I wasn't sure I could ask my foster parents.

With having had no one to talk to myself I'm not sure I know how to answer her questions and want to get her a similar book to help her through this. I'm sure she doesn't understand why she cries all the time for no reason, why her clothes fit her differently, and other feelings that she has hinted at but not outright said.

Do you ladies have a suggestion for a book for a girl about to be a woman that might help her a bit in ways that I never had an example to follow? I want to be there but I just don't know if I know how.

Thank you for any advice in advance :-)

*EDIT* I went to BN.com to look up some books for girls and found this one.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/puberty-survival-guide-for-girls-eve-anne-ashby/1016505273?ean=9780595789900

Has anyone given it to their DD?

wedding ticker

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM
The care and keeping of you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM

BUMP!

CoeyG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I started talking about it when my daughter was two and had a love for my book "The Joy of Birth" It had photos of everything having to do with reproduction and when she would ask I would tell her what the picutres were, in language she could understand (fishies/daddy parts, eggs/mommy parts) and as she got older we would discuss at greater lenght.  By the time she hit puberty we were discussing the fact that she didn't have to engage in sex to "keep" a boyfriend and she didn't have to put up with one who hit her or one who tried to control her.   The only part we didn't discuss was the actuall action of coitious itself but she was too embarassed to talk to me about it so she got "sex for dummies"  when she was 16.  

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Any other book ideas?

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:47 PM

DD is 6 so we have not had ot cross this bridge yet.  I cant remember the book my mom used when i was in 2nd or 3rd grade. There are many books out there now for talking to girls or boys about changing bodies.

robbinsroost
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:50 PM

There is an American Girl book that I have heard is good. I plan to get it for my DD soon.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I would just talk to her.  My mother never gave me the talk...and I wound up going to a friend's mother...I also wound up having to tell my youngest sister...I prefered to do the communicating with my daughter rather than an impersonal book   It brought us closer, a book will only add more space between the two of you during a time when she really needs a mother, rather than a book.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM
'Are you there, God? It's me Margaret' is a good book, but I think it's more for late starters

I was given a book too, cept I can't remember much about it :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chefmartha
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Here are the titles of the two books my mother used with us kids. Actually my baby brother discovered them by accident in the town Library when he went with my mom. Either way they are Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle and What's Happening to Me: A Guide to Puberty by Peter Mayle and Arthur Robins. Both books are very good at explaining things.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Nov. 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

i remember my mom handing me a book to read..and then telling me that if i had any questions to ask after i was done reading....but i dont remember the name of the book....and i was waaaay to embarrased to ask any questions, but i remember feeling SOOO confused!!  so my advice?? talk to your daughter! explain everything, then hand her a book to read if she wants, and then talk again.......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN