Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

renting and w questions on poor management

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM
  • 17 Replies

I moved to a reasonable affordable place in July and it has been quite a shocking experience so far.It is a complex with 400 units, gated and with security.

Before you read and say "move", please tell me if I have any rights to complain to nthe city for poor management or even to sue them for noise pollution and emotional stress

it is a Latino community and even though I am Latina, their style of life is completely far from mine.Kids play and make loud noise until 10 or 11 pm even during the week.When one person has a party it becomes a block party.Ine night trhey had a dj playing music in the street and with no permit.

Today they had a festivity and live music which was VERY loud.it went on for almost an hour.Security said they were not doing anything until 10 pm.that was at 7:40pm after I had out my baby in his crib and he wokpe up screaming from the noise.

I am a single mom, I work hard to keep the baby healthy and to keep the place clean and to be a good worker too so that I can provide for myself and the baby.Being bothered by loud music and a live party on a Sunday night was an emotional disturbance and physical to my baby.

I wrote to rhe manager but i was wondering if I have the right to do something more than that

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you spoke with the city police? There are noise ordinances..even for during the day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

the police came but it was after 45 m of loud music and my baby crying on and off

hippiechik3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Move. You dont wanna get shot for being a rat.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:47 AM

With the 10pm quiet time , the police usually can not do anything about the noise.  All you can do is continually list your grievances to manager or actualy talk to the people throwing party about your baby trying to sleep.  I would move or teach everyone in our house how to sleep through the noise.  We have lived in our apartment since dd was born so she is used to all the residual noise you hear from neighbors.

ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Yes that has been my fear. I don't think I will get shot but I am concerned about my car.but do people really lose common sense? They all work.why do they have a party on a Sunday?

Quoting hippiechik3:

mama2my2boys
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM
i would raise all hell exp when i worked graveyard and slept during the day! not eveybody works during the day...no matter what time it is if its loud i would be calling till something was done that is just crazy....not being racist but maybe move where there isnt latinos...they can be pretty loud
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hippiechik3
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Its a way of life trust me. I lived like that most my childhood an yes you will get shot if they find out who is the rat. They dont just party, other things go on they dont need the cops around.

Quoting ballerossandra:

Yes that has been my fear. I don't think I will get shot but I am concerned about my car.but do people really lose common sense? They all work.why do they have a party on a Sunday?

Quoting hippiechik3:

mmccrea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Sorry but no.  I asked my best friend (and lawyer) about issues like this.  When you sign a lease, you sign away your rights to sue pretty much.  "Noise pollution" and "emotional stress" would be impossible unless you get OJ Simpson's lawyer.  Sorry, I've been there, and renting sucks.

ballerossandra
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:04 AM

The cops are here quite often.i asked them once how dangerous the place was and they said it is much better than in the past and the only problems are alcohol and weed.

one day I was leaving the apartment and I saw the cops again and my two female neighbors were out and we were talking about the cops and the noise.they said things get worse around the holidays and with all the different virgin celebrations.i am from Chile and we don't celebrate the same festivities so I have no clue.

the place is full, full of children so it ccan't be that dangerous...just noisy

Quoting hippiechik3:

Its a way of life trust me. I lived like that most my childhood an yes you will get shot if they find out who is the rat. They dont just party, other things go on they dont need the cops around.

Quoting ballerossandra:

Quoting hippiechik3:

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Where do u live that u would get shot? Chicago?

Quoting hippiechik3:

Quoting ballerossandra:

Quoting hippiechik3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured