Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What to expect with tonsillectomy?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM
  • 11 Replies
My 6 year old is about to have his tonsils and adenoids out and tubes put in. He has never been put under before, I'm so nervous. What was your kiddos recovery time, was the pain horrible? Any advice as a mom? All I was told was to make sure he is drinking and then warned me that the pain meds are alcohol based. Poor little dude. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM
My dd was 3 1/2. She recovered fast. Was eating a lot of soft food like chicken and noodles the 2nd day. I had worked at an ENT office so I was comfortable with the procedure. My dd just had reg tylenol. Had to give it every 4 hours around the clock. 7 to 10 days out you can experience more pain than before and this is normal. My dd didn't. She wqas back at preschool a week later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvinMyBoy81
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Oohhh, that makes me feel so much better! Thank you!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Send me pm's if you have specific questions.

Quoting LuvinMyBoy81:

Oohhh, that makes me feel so much better! Thank you!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

A cold pack on his throat will help, and clear icy liquids including popsicles (non-red.)  Recovery is different for each child. My older son was sick for over a month before he had his tonsillectomy, and recovery took a while for him, but the younger son was reasonably healthy and was playing by the time his dad came to take him home.

mom1T2Ldh
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

just make sure he doesn't talk right after then just a lot of soft foods or cold drinks.

-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

My little one hasn't had this done but I had a tonsillectomy as an adult.  I had trouble eating meats and breads for about 10 days because they usually more dry and require more chewing.  Stick to softer foods for about a week.  Pastas, eggs, pudding, yogurt, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and soft fruits.  I was in the most pain about 3 days after the procedure.  Really cold stuff is great.  Italian ice or popsicles help wth pain.  I pretty much stayed in bed for 4 or 5 days and watched movies and slept.

Kazmira222
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Well I had mine taken out a couple years ago and not gonna lie, it was the worst thing I'd ever gone through. :I I was 18 at the time. I mainly just took hydrocodone A LOT for the pain. But after a few days of it I started having crazy dreams. I didn't wanna sleep anymore, but at the same time I didn't wanna be awake either. :/ By day 5 I ended up with the stomach flu for a whole day and that's when I stopped taking the hydro. I just went to tylenol. Overall cheeto puffs were my best friend for eating! They dissolve in your mouth before you swallow. Lol as far as the anesthetics went, I had no sickness or anything. I came outta it all good. I wouldn't advise using any throat numbing meds they give you on account I took it once and felt as if I couldn't swallow! Freaked me out a lot. I never took it again. Overall, I'd say do anything that will keep him resting. More sleep the better I say. Really after the first weeks things should start getting much better. Recovery is about 2 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMR320
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM
My MIL just had it done 2 days ago. She is miserable. They said it is easier on kids. Don't skip the pain meds even if he seems ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
piwife
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM
My dd had some complications. Mainly she was refusing fluids. And ended up in the hospital for dehydration. The first week after surgery was hard on her. She was in a lot of pain. But afterwards everything went great and am glad that she had it done. She had the same surgeries your lil one is having :) best of luck he will get pain meds. Stock up on jello, italian ice, and no straws
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reizenskitty
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I remember getting mine out when i was younger,popsicles warm chicken broth is what i ate for the first couple days,then i moved onto softer foods.Dont let him watch anything he might find scary,me and my cousin had our tonsils and adenoids taken out around the same time and watched a scary movie without my dad knowing and i got scared and screamed.....there was blood everywhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured