Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need help with sizing...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM
  • 11 Replies
My partner and I picked a child from the Angel Tree. We picked this particular child because she wasn't like the others who were asking for power rangers, bikes, dollhouses, etc. She asked for clothes, and more specifically, a coat. And she asked for an educational game. What I most need help with is sizing for this young girl. She is 12 years old and size 16. So far, the size 16s that we have found are actually "size 14-16", and I'm afraid the clothes are going to be too small for her. Am I right or will they fit her just fine? If any of you have a size 16 girl, could you please help me out here? And if that size will not work, could you point me to some stores that would have her size? Will I have to go to a woman's size? And if so, what size would that be in woman's?
Lastly, any suggestions on what a 12 year old might consider educational? Any help you ladies can offer me will be greatly appreciated. We would love more than anything to help her have a great Christmas this year. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Board games can be educational as well as some card games.  For coat sizing I am not sure since i think 16 is the last size for girls before you go to juniors.  I would go a size up so the coat could last her awhile as well.

susie3g
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM
I don't know if she has anyone to play board games with. It didn't appear that she had any siblings. Maybe puzzles?

That's a good idea about the coat sizing .. buying one size up. Thanks!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Board games can be educational as well as some card games.  For coat sizing I am not sure since i think 16 is the last size for girls before you go to juniors.  I would go a size up so the coat could last her awhile as well.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe a jewelry making kit as well in case she has no one to play a board game with.  I like the idea of puzzles for this age.

Quoting susie3g:

I don't know if she has anyone to play board games with. It didn't appear that she had any siblings. Maybe puzzles?

Quoting frndlyfn:

kim8934
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM

check a book store or craft store.  I would look into puzzle books or craft kits for her.  Also, I agree with frndlyfn, go larger on the coat.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:34 AM
14/16 should be fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

14/16 should be fine.  If you want to buy larger go with an extra small in juniors.  But she may already be asking for the larger size, in that case something from juniors may be to big.

I love jigsaw puzzles.  They can be done by any number of people.  I might get a puzzle keeper with it so she can work on it a little at a time.  And if she has limited space and leaving a partially done puzzle out may not be a choice, she can still leave it 'out' to work on later.  I loved doing a bit at a time.  Several models are available, here is one at amazon.com:

susie3g
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM
I like that idea! Thanks!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Maybe a jewelry making kit as well in case she has no one to play a board game with.  I like the idea of puzzles for this age.

Quoting susie3g:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susie3g
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Well they have a list of all her sizes... shirt, pants, dress, coat, shoes. They are all 16 except the shoes, so I'm pretty sure she is a straight up size 16 currently.

I like your idea of getting the stow-n-go to go with the puzzles! That's fabulous! Thank you.

Quoting nova.mommy:

14/16 should be fine.  If you want to buy larger go with an extra small in juniors.  But she may already be asking for the larger size, in that case something from juniors may be to big.

I love jigsaw puzzles.  They can be done by any number of people.  I might get a puzzle keeper with it so she can work on it a little at a time.  And if she has limited space and leaving a partially done puzzle out may not be a choice, she can still leave it 'out' to work on later.  I loved doing a bit at a time.  Several models are available, here is one at amazon.com:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
I can't remember if it is Sears or JCPenny that has extended sizes. 18, 20, and 22 I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM
A 16 in kids us like a med/large in juniors.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN