Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Whole Milk

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM
  • 17 Replies

Today was Jace's 1 year appointment. The doctor gave us the the green light with giving Jace whole milk. And he said no more bottle. Makes me all very nervous!  I know Jace has had whole milk before a couple of times, because he didn't have enough formula at both grandma's house that they gave him whole milk. I remember he didn't drink much of it. I'm nervous that he's not going to like it and not want it. I don't know how to introduce him to it? And if I should still keep putting rice in his milk or not? And no bottle? When did all you momma's start wheenin your LO's off the bottle?  I feel like it's a tad little early for that. Ahhh, it's so much at one time for me, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!!!   

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Rice should be eaten with a spoon by now for him.  DD was never a bottle baby so we didnt have to fight the weaning process.  I would do it over the next month taking away the bottles during the day and keeping the night time last bottle.

robyann
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

The way I've always done it is, at about 9 -10 months I gave whole milk in a sippy cup, getting them used to the taste. At 12 months (approx), I stopped giving the bottle and only offered the sippy. No more formula. I don't know why your putting rice in his bottle....?....but no rice in his whole milk. He may fuss for a couple of days wanting the bottle, but just stick to the sippy and he'll give in and be fine.

If he takes a bottle at night to go to sleep, this will be the hardest to break. Give him water in a sippy to take to bed with him. If he's used to going to bed with a bottle this one will be the hardest one to get rid of...but be strong and stick to it, if you give in even once, you'll be starting all over, and it'll be harder this time. GL

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Well now that I know better, I would say don't give cows milk at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

There is no need for a bottle after one and at that point it's more of a harm then it is a help, time to ditch the bottle. As for the milk, just offer it and if he doesn't like it, not the end of the world. Milk isn't a need and there are other ways he can get calcium and vitamin D.

larschick
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM
I took the bottles away 2 weeks after ds's 1st birthday, & that was only because he was sick & the pediatrician wanted him to have formula while he was on abx. After that it was no bottle only sippy cups. At 2.5 pacifier left, & at 3.5 soft sippy cups were gone for good. (He has been using hard sippy cups & straws since he was 1.5 & on.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mishlerdr24
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I started giving rice to help with his spitting up and it worked , then he started sleeping thru the night, so I've been doing it ever since. I've given him bottles with no rice and he HATED IT!!!!!! And yes I give him a bottle before he goes to bed, but not when he's in his crib. He'll have sippy cups through out the day with juice or water, milk was only in bottles and juice and water in sippy's. 

Quoting robyann:

The way I've always done it is, at about 9 -10 months I gave whole milk in a sippy cup, getting them used to the taste. At 12 months (approx), I stopped giving the bottle and only offered the sippy. No more formula. I don't know why your putting rice in his bottle....?....but no rice in his whole milk. He may fuss for a couple of days wanting the bottle, but just stick to the sippy and he'll give in and be fine.

If he takes a bottle at night to go to sleep, this will be the hardest to break. Give him water in a sippy to take to bed with him. If he's used to going to bed with a bottle this one will be the hardest one to get rid of...but be strong and stick to it, if you give in even once, you'll be starting all over, and it'll be harder this time. GL

Firenygirl180
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

We stopped using formula when DS was 13 months.  He would get milk from time to time between 12 and 13 months but in a sippy cup.  At 13 months I took the bottle away.  He had started playing with bottles, he would hold thme upside down and let milk drip out then splash in the puddles.  I never tried taking bottles away slowly.  

You may have to try using a few ounces of formula and a few ounces of milk to get her used to the different taste.  You may also have to try different sippy cups if she doesn't already use one.  

I had a hard time finding a cup that worked well for DS. He now uses the playtex sippy cups for milk and he gets Nuby straw cups for juice.  

Just start slow and take one bottle away for a few days and then another until they are all gone.  If that doesn't work then just take them away and give her cups.  If she is hesitant about losing the bottles start giving her formula in a cup for a few days before switching it to milk.  If you do take the bottles away all at once make sure you hide them where she can't find them.  DS got to the point that he knew the cups were his and bottles were not.  He'd actually pick up bottles and give them to the kids they belong to.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM

My daughter wasn't even a year when she started on a sippy cup.  And no no rice in the milk.  He should be eating food by now doesn't need rice except as cereal in the morning.  

mmccrea
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I mixed a little formula with it at first. My MIL put SUGAR in with it (without my consent).  I also warmed it up at first, he really liked that.  Now he's onto cold whole milk, and loves it just as much.

georgeisfun
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:15 AM

We started letting our daughter use a sippy cup somewhere between 6 and 8 months, I think. When she was not quite 11 months I ran out of liners for her bottles and I wasn't going to go buy more when I knew they would just get wasted when we took her bottle away completely, so that was the end of the bottles. She didn't even notice. She didn't seem to notice the switch from formula to milk, either. But I was blessed with a very easy going and easily satisfied baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)