Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turkey advice....

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM
  • 11 Replies
How do you go about defrosting a 20 pound turkey? I took it out of the freezer this morning and put it in the fridge... Will it be defrosted by wed. Night or do I need to soak it in cold water wed. All day? Help!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:48 AM

put it somewhere safe and it will be thawed by wednesday.   

trulyblessed618
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Do you mean somewhere safe outside the refrigerator.... Confused if I should be defrosting the whole time outside or inside fridge?

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM

We thaw ours outside the fridge since our fridge has its temp really cold for some reason.   Somewhere safe that hands will not poke at it and spread the germs.  I had to ask my guy to double check LOL.

Quoting trulyblessed618:

Do you mean somewhere safe outside the refrigerator.... Confused if I should be defrosting the whole time outside or inside fridge?

Quoting frndlyfn:

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Like on the counter? That is dangerous!
I'm a vegetarian but the rest of my family eats meat. My mom said to give 5 days for 20 lb turkey to thaw.

Quoting frndlyfn:

We thaw ours outside the fridge since our fridge has its temp really cold for some reason.   Somewhere safe that hands will not poke at it and spread the germs.  I had to ask my guy to double check LOL.

Quoting trulyblessed618:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:09 AM
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/turkey_basics_safe_thawing/index.asp
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lakajungurl
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:17 AM
Take it out the freeze Tuesday morning ,put it in the fridge all day and Tuesday night.Wednesday morning put it in the sink it should be defrosted by Wednesday night.put it back in fridge until ready to cook.and you can also season it Wednesday before you put it back in fridge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidsmommy
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:30 AM

My was frozen. I had an early thanksgiving. But I thawed one day in the fridge set it out in the sink for about 6 hours a day later Then I put it in the fridge to finish up the thawing. And then it was ready the morning of.

robyann
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Quoting lakajungurl:

Take it out the freeze Tuesday morning ,put it in the fridge all day and Tuesday night.Wednesday morning put it in the sink it should be defrosted by Wednesday night.put it back in fridge until ready to cook.and you can also season it Wednesday before you put it back in fridge.

I have been worrying about the same thing. I put mine in the fridge last night, but it is still frozen solid! This ^^ sounds like the best idea to me! That's what I'm gonna do. Safer than just sitting out on the counter for many many hours.

lakajungurl
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That's how I do it every year.I forgot to take my turkey out this morning tho....oops!

Quoting robyann:

Quoting lakajungurl:

I have been worrying about the same thing. I put mine in the fridge last night, but it is still frozen solid! This ^^ sounds like the best idea to me! That's what I'm gonna do. Safer than just sitting out on the counter for many many hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I thaw mine in a bucket in the garage.

It is plenty cold here and has always worked for us, plus left room in the fridge. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured