Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Help with breastfeeding and formula

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok so baby girl is now 5 months old,.  I'm nursing her exclusively when I'm with her, but I work like 37 hours a week.  I know the ounce an hour rule for exclusively breastfeed babies, but what about babies that recieve formula during the day.  She drinks mostly formula during the day, I've seen that with formula fed babies the amount they drink should be increased but with breast feed babies it shouldn't.  What should I do should I tell them to stop feeding her so much formula or just let it go because she is getting mostly formula during the day and nursing the rest of the time?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CoeyG
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

How much formula is she getting at a feeding?  She should take at least 6 ounces per feeding by now.  Some babies take more.  

Seans_mommy123
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM

My DS is fed the same way. He's 7 months right now and he gets 3 8oz bottles while i'm at work. When i started working when he was 4 months he was getting a 6 oz bottle.

-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

I breastfed and formula fed my dd and I always gave her the same amount.  If she finished and wanted more I would give her more but that usually only happened during a growth spurt.  She never took more than 4oz at a time until she was over a year old but she's tiny like her mama.  I say just feed em' until they are full so if she wants more formula when she is in someone else's care so be it.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM
I'd follow the ounce an hour rule for formula as well so she gets the most breastmilk possible when you're home. Make sure she's not fed right before you get home so you can nurse as soon as you are available.

Are you pumping at all? You should pump as often as possible while away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamoore83
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Ok so she is getting about average because shes getting about 16 oz a day while I'm gone, I do pump sone times at work not as much as I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)