Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Anyone else have family that ruin the Holidays?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM
  • 39 Replies

As an adult the Holiday suck! I mean I love seeing my DD smile when we decorate our tree or bake cookies together but it's the Grandparents that ruin it for me. I have never had a Holiday where both my parents AND my in-laws were happy. DH and I do the SAME thing every year yet each year either my side or his side decides something about our plans bother them & I have to hear about it. Trying to get Thanksgiving figured out was horrible and there's still Christmas to deal with. Guess I just need to realize that I can't make everyone happy.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM

DUH  ..... When you try to make everyone happy, no one is happy.  You have to accept the people for how they are and tell them the ground rules for seeing grandbaby and adult children (you and husband).

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Yep same here. Happy Thanksgiving! Here is your serving of guilt with a side of stress :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbmkfo03
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Quoting frndlyfn:

DUH  ..... When you try to make everyone happy, no one is happy.  You have to accept the people for how they are and tell them the ground rules for seeing grandbaby and adult children (you and husband).

Yep. Learned that the hard way.

bbmkfo03
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Yep same here. Happy Thanksgiving! Here is your serving of guilt with a side of stress :)

LOL!! Yes the guilt is the worst! My mom is the best at making me feel guilty. I hope I never treat my DD that way.

Lovinmybabas
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I know the feeling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baybeelove88
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Nope, holidays should be fun, if you can't be nice and have fun, I don't want you anyway...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry. That really sucks. We told everyone outright when we moved back near home and even before that we were having none of that. The result? My husband, kids and I will be going to my parents for thanksgiving where my brother and sil also live. My mil and my sil's parents will also be coming there. We told them already that we will have Christmas eve at our place, but they can drop by if they want. Mostly my mil who lives in the same apt complex as us. Then Christmas morning is just the 4 of us at our place and we will go that afternoon for dinner at my moms. My mil is invited also and/or she can visit Christmas eve. There is no room for argument and everyone gets along for us and our kids. There is no wiggle room in makin the holidays awesome for our kids and that includes everyone they really love coming together. Our families know how strongly we feel on that and support it and it's a really nice space to be in now!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amberp1
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:41 AM

You know if they are the ones who are going to be petty and ruin it for you. You and the hubby need to take control and do it yOUR way.

mimismomma123
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Ohh I hate my inlaws. We do thankguving and Christmas everyear. We ask everyone to bring a dish. They always show up with at least 3 or 4total strangers don't bring a dish but a doggie bag. Last year I ipad was stolen and we know it was from one of the poeple they invited. When they come on Xmas they don't got presants for my kids( witch wouldn't bother me because we teach our children its about family not gifts and they are plenty spoiled from us and my family) but she talks about what she bought for her other grandchildren. And then acts like the gifts we give then aren't good enough because were "loaded"and theyre poor. We are middle class they just are dirt poor because they refuse to get a damn job. Anyways this year we didn't invite them thankfod
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM
My in-laws, every year. Every holiday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN