Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

help moms! need help with my baby that sleeps poorly!

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:27 AM
  • 21 Replies
I know exhaustion and lack of sleep come with being a parent. But, I sometimes feel I'm going crazy with sleep deprivation. My hubby and I were living with his folks whilst I was preg with our first. And when our baby was born everything was hunky dory when baby was on the hospital routine. The min we brought our baby home everything changed, his whole routine went out of whack, by, outside influences. Everytime baby kicked up a fuss or his mum tried putting baby to sleep, she'd come to me and tell me just to give him a little bit of (breast) milk to settle him, an it will be easier to put him to sleep. Yes, technically all of that was/is true, but the min we put him in bed he'd wake up and we'd have to rock him to sleep. I could never just put him in his bed whilst awake, pat him on his back, and voila his asleep. No, I'd breastfeed him, rock him and then hope pray for the best. His also never slept longer than 2hrs. And he'd always wake up, the min I put him down. Now, 8 months later, yes our baby is 8 months and we'v moved into out place 3 onths ago, I'm trying to teach him how to sleep on his own. But, its such a mission. He'll scream blue murder for sometimes up to 2hrs. I put him in his cot, pat him on his back while I shhhh him. When he gets really upset, I pick him up, hold him till his calm, then put him down, an on an on it goes till he eventually just passes out from exhaustion. But, CMommers I don't have 2hrs to kill evrytime just to put him to sleep, iv got things to do around the house. I'm a stay at home mom. So please help me! Iv tried everything for this poor boy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ninjabubble
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:29 AM
My 7 month old has never slept from day one. Sleeps no more than 5 hours at night. And that's pushing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM

I dont think cry it out should even be tried until the baby reaches their first year.  My dd did not sleep through the night until she was nearly 3 yrs old.  What is hisbedtime routine?  If he is breastfed , then use that to help soothe him.  Many babies still take bottles of formula right before bed to help them feel full.   I am presuming you arent in the US given your vocabulary on certain things.   He could also be going through a big growth spurt right now whch will throw everything out the window concerning daily routine.

CoeyG
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Start out by rocking him to sleep, then place him in his crib.  When he wakes let him cry for about 20 minutes then go in, pat/rub his back until he calms down then leave, if he strats up again, allow him 20 minutes before you go back in and pat/rub is back again.  You may also need to employ the use of a pacifier.  Everytime you go in do not pick  him up.  If you have to get a chair for his room and sit in it while you rub his bac.  Also you may want to use a CD player with ambient music.  It is very calming.  Also nature sounds are good as well.  

householdAngel
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Oh. Well, I know I'm not alone in this Ninjabubble. Its just so frustrating when you get judged as parent, that you doing something wrong, cause you can't get your baby to sleep.

Quoting Ninjabubble:

My 7 month old has never slept from day one. Sleeps no more than 5 hours at night. And that's pushing it.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this

He's 8 months old.   He's not supposed to put himself to sleep.   Your In-laws did not "create" this... it's just that he's a baby and that's how babies are.   They trick you by sleeping really well in the hospital and then really horribly at home... it's totally normal, it happens all the time.

Keep nursing him to sleep, lay him down (tummy down may help) and co-sleep.  He will outgrow all of this.. but for right now he needs you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this

He is sleeping, right?  So... he's sleeping!   No need for anyone to get any more involved than that.   They ask how he's sleeping, you say "horizontally".   Seriously, it's none of their beeswax.

Quoting householdAngel:

Oh. Well, I know I'm not alone in this Ninjabubble. Its just so frustrating when you get judged as parent, that you doing something wrong, cause you can't get your baby to sleep.

Quoting Ninjabubble:

householdAngel
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Ok. CoeyG. I'm not sure I want to leave him alone for 20 mins at a time. Is'nt that a bit drastic? Iv never attempted something like that before. How effective is it? It just seems a bit cruel. He'll think iv abandoned him.

Quoting CoeyG:

Start out by rocking him to sleep, then place him in his crib.  When he wakes let him cry for about 20 minutes then go in, pat/rub his back until he calms down then leave, if he strats up again, allow him 20 minutes before you go back in and pat/rub is back again.  You may also need to employ the use of a pacifier.  Everytime you go in do not pick  him up.  If you have to get a chair for his room and sit in it while you rub his bac.  Also you may want to use a CD player with ambient music.  It is very calming.  Also nature sounds are good as well.  

householdAngel
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:50 AM
Ok. CoeyG. I'm not sure I want to leave him alone for 20 mins at a time. Is'nt that a bit drastic? Iv never attempted something like that before. How effective is it? It just seems a bit cruel. He'll think iv abandoned him.

Quoting CoeyG:

householdAngel
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Well he is going through a growth spurt. And his also teething. With his bedtime routine, I'll bath him at 16:00pm. I massage him with oils, then bath him (I use lavender in the bath water), then rub him with lotions. I also play soothing music. Afterwards I give his supper, and breastfeed him and put him to bed. Iv been trying this new sleep method for 2 weeks now, and only from yesterday I'll breastfeed him just to settle him. That does work, he only fusses for 2min and then he nods off.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I dont think cry it out should even be tried until the baby reaches their first year.  My dd did not sleep through the night until she was nearly 3 yrs old.  What is hisbedtime routine?  If he is breastfed , then use that to help soothe him.  Many babies still take bottles of formula right before bed to help them feel full.   I am presuming you arent in the US given your vocabulary on certain things.   He could also be going through a big growth spurt right now whch will throw everything out the window concerning daily routine.

sreichelt26
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 2:59 AM
This. Mine's 18mo and still nurses to sleep. It's pretty common actually. Don't worry about what others think or what YOU think others are thinking. Do your thing and ignore them.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

He's 8 months old.   He's not supposed to put himself to sleep.   Your In-laws did not "create" this... it's just that he's a baby and that's how babies are.   They trick you by sleeping really well in the hospital and then really horribly at home... it's totally normal, it happens all the time.

Keep nursing him to sleep, lay him down (tummy down may help) and co-sleep.  He will outgrow all of this.. but for right now he needs you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN