Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Mamas that homeschool...

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you have to have a degree to do this? Sorry but I know absolutely nothing about it. I am terrified of sending my now 4 yo to school for 8 hrs next year. I think that's way too long for such a small child. He and I both have separation anxiety. Any advice??
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:57 PM
Replies (11-17):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Odd here k12 is at the teachers pace. The teacher gives an assignment and the kids do it at home. There are also certain hours they have to be online during.
we use a charter homeschool.

Quoting EvaSerenity:

LOL k12.com, its an online charter school. Half online school, half offline. They supply all the materials and its free, even a computer rental if needed. The kids can work at their own pace and if they want to go to public school they start in whatever grade they left off in from k12.com

Quoting momtotwo08:

Quoting EvaSerenity:

Im in SC too! We do the k12 program. The academic part is pretty decent. My first grader has a lot of fun with it!

He loves k4 for the most part but to me 8 hrs is just too long for a 5 yr old. I live in a very small town so things like school violence are rare but I still worry!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM
You can always try it out this year to help you decide

Quoting momtotwo08:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Here's the laws for your state

http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/alegal.html

Thank you!! Apparently as long as I have a diploma I'm good to go. I'm going to think about it and decide. It tears my nerves up to think about leaving my baby with a stranger for that long!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvaSerenity
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Mine is in 1st grade. She has class connect 3 times a week, but beyond that, no set hours to be online, provided she does her daily plan. I've heard of it being run in a different manner for older grades, but for SC k12, at least in 1st grade, no set times and she can work at the pace she needs to. :)

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Odd here k12 is at the teachers pace. The teacher gives an assignment and the kids do it at home. There are also certain hours they have to be online during.

Quoting EvaSerenity:

LOL k12.com, its an online charter school. Half online school, half offline. They supply all the materials and its free, even a computer rental if needed. The kids can work at their own pace and if they want to go to public school they start in whatever grade they left off in from k12.com

Quoting momtotwo08:

Quoting EvaSerenity:

Im in SC too! We do the k12 program. The academic part is pretty decent. My first grader has a lot of fun with it!

He loves k4 for the most part but to me 8 hrs is just too long for a 5 yr old. I live in a very small town so things like school violence are rare but I still worry!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Nice.  My nieces did that 2 years ago.  They were in 2nd and 8th grades and they were not allowed to work at their own pace.  That's why my SIL switched their schooling to the charter.  But I'm in CA :)

Quoting EvaSerenity:

Mine is in 1st grade. She has class connect 3 times a week, but beyond that, no set hours to be online, provided she does her daily plan. I've heard of it being run in a different manner for older grades, but for SC k12, at least in 1st grade, no set times and she can work at the pace she needs to. :)

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Quoting EvaSerenity:

Quoting momtotwo08:

Quoting EvaSerenity:

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
momtotwo08
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:22 AM
Quoting EvaSerenity:

Oh!! Ive never even heard of that! I'll have to look it up!
momtotwo08
by Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting EvaSerenity:

I just called about the k12 program, it sounds great they're sending me more info.
velvetgloss
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Hi everyone.

I am a HS mum to 5 wonderful children, my homeschooling started with my oldest son 14 and then my 2 other sons 12 and 41/2 .... my daughter enjoy joining in although they are 3 and 18 month lol but they will be HS also, we live in Glasgow Scotland x

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN