Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Always sick

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM
  • 21 Replies

My 3 year old has asthma, but I'm beginning to wonder if there is more going on with his little body. He spends more of the year sick than not. As in he has bronchitis 3-6 times yearly, bronchiolitis 3-6 times yealy, various strains of flu 2-4 times yearly, unidentified viruses 2-4 times yearly, unidentified infections 2-4 times yearly, pnuemonia 0-1 time yearly, chicken pox 0-1 time yearly, stomach bugs 4-7 times yearly, allergic reactions/allergy flares too often to count, and has a cold almost all the time. None of those viruses, infections, or whatever last less than a week, most last 2-3 weeks for him. He's basically always sick. When do I worry about something being wrong with his immune system? Could he have some can of disease or disorder than impairs his immune system? Does asthma do that or could this be something more than that? How would I know? How do I boost his immune system. 

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

have you had him tested for alergies that may be kicking up the asthma ?

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Yes and he's on allergy medication for them, and we do our best to avoid. But most are airborne. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting Nicholy10:

Yes and he's on allergy medication for them, and we do our best to avoid. But most are airborne. 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

my brother was allergic to so much stuff the drs wanted my parents to move out of New England

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:13 PM

It may be what he is being exposed to, if there are new children that he plays with, for example.  When children are around different people they are exposed to different illnesses and gradually build up immunity.  Ask your doctor about your concern. My older son was sick a lot as a little guy, and his tonsils were in bad shape. Once they came out he wasn't nearly as sick.

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

That would be scary

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

my brother was allergic to so much stuff the drs wanted my parents to move out of New England

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Will do. He's rarely around new people because he struggles with that (he's being evaluated for aspergers). 

Quoting Bmat:

It may be what he is being exposed to, if there are new children that he plays with, for example.  When children are around different people they are exposed to different illnesses and gradually build up immunity.  Ask your doctor about your concern. My older son was sick a lot as a little guy, and his tonsils were in bad shape. Once they came out he wasn't nearly as sick.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I would have them check for auto immune diseases just in case.  I am presuming you have him eat healthy, lots of water, and vitamins.

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Yes we do. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would have them check for auto immune diseases just in case.  I am presuming you have him eat healthy, lots of water, and vitamins.

CoeyG
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Bronchitis comes as part of the "asthma" package as Asthma weakens the respiratory system.  I've had Asthma all my life and bronchitis and pneumonia have been the norm for me for about 50 years.   If you have him tested for autoimmunes they will more than likely come back negative or "within normal ranges"  It can take decades for an ANA to come up positive.  I was finally after 40 years diagnosed in 2010.  

elijahXmom
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Have looked into him having allergies? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)