Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Weening baby

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM
  • 21 Replies
I'm trying to ween my baby from breastfeeding. I have over supply and I have started supplementing 3-4 bottles a day and my supply is still huge. It hurts from engorgement and I'll express a little to feel better. I do not want to get mastitis and I want to just get this over with. Any advice ladies?

Pro breastfeeders, please don't lecture me about breast milk or be hateful. The baby is not thriving and needs to gain weight. Thank you:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Why not mix the breastmilk in with formula?  I have done that when dd was a baby.  Who told you that he was not thriving?

piwife
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM
Am not going to lecture you. But I will say this charts and percentiles don't mean anything. There is a great article called look at the baby not the scale. Is not about being pro bf. Is about educating moms. Cuz uneducated moms give out wrong info. By the way sudafed will help you dry up. am a certified breastfeeding counselor. If you want to quit then quit but if you wish you could breastfeed feel free to ask me for help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I have 2 months frozen. He will be getting two bottles a day for immune support. I don't want to go into detail about why I am stopping because I would have to write a novel;) I will say that it is awesome that I've came this far without any major problems and him being healthy. I've been doing it for 4 months.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Why not mix the breastmilk in with formula?  I have done that when dd was a baby.  Who told you that he was not thriving?

Aslen
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:31 PM

how is he not thriving? What is his output? How old is he?

piwife
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Op how old is baby? What was lowest weight ever? And weight now? How are diapers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yes 4 months is a good effort.  I am not sure how you can wean without you experiencing pain when body or baby may not be ready though.  Hopefully someone else can help you out.

Quoting jakesmom323:

I have 2 months frozen. He will be getting two bottles a day for immune support. I don't want to go into detail about why I am stopping because I would have to write a novel;) I will say that it is awesome that I've came this far without any major problems and him being healthy. I've been doing it for 4 months.

Quoting frndlyfn:

jakesmom323
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Thank you:) I'm mainly wanting to stop because I had a very serious case of mastitis with my first that required a lot of surgery, home health, and a hard recovery. May I add I got MRSA from the hospital in the wound:( I'm really proud I made it this far this time around. The milk is just keeping him really small and I know that it's enough to keep him going, but hard to breastfeed every hour for 20-30 minutes and have a 3 year old and a life. I have enough to make it till 6 months and I'm glad I tried and succeeded this long:)

Quoting piwife:

Am not going to lecture you. But I will say this charts and percentiles don't mean anything. There is a great article called look at the baby not the scale. Is not about being pro bf. Is about educating moms. Cuz uneducated moms give out wrong info. By the way sudafed will help you dry up. am a certified breastfeeding counselor. If you want to quit then quit but if you wish you could breastfeed feel free to ask me for help

Emilytrademark
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I don't understand why your baby needs to gain more weight if you have an oversupply? Nonetheless, I am sorry but I can't help.. my toddler mostly self-weaned.

BabyFruit Ticker
bbmkfo03
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Good idea. You can add pumped breastmilk this ways he's still getting all the good stuff he needs. Also just b/c you need to use some formula now doesn't mean you have to stop BF'ing. I know of many moms who use formula to help baby gain weight then go back to BF'ing exclusively. 

doulala
by on Dec. 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Can you offer the breast more instead?
Pump and give it to your child?
Pump and donate?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN