Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Friendly Christmas Movie List

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM
  • 23 Replies

One of the traditions we have at our house, that starts the holiday season, happens on Thanksgiving night. On that night, after we've stuffed ourselves silly and have gotten tired of football and parades, we pull out our collection of Christmas movies for the season and watch a marathon of 'The Santa Clause' trilogy. It's one of our favorite things to do during the Christmas season.

So I had an idea lastnight that it might be fun to post a list of family friendly Christmas movies. Here is my list, in descending order of my own top ten Christmas movies as pooled from my own DVD collection. So here goes....

#10. Arthur Christmas (2011). It's new on the scene here so it hasn't had much play time yet. It is very sweet in that it shows that every child deserves to be remembered at Christmastime.

#9. White Christmas (1954). It's a classic. Plenty of singing an dancing.

#8. It's a Wonderful Life (1946). I know there have been other editions of this iconic movie but nothing beats this version in black and white with Jimmy Stewart. When I was a kid this was the movie that we watched on Thanksgiving night on TV.

#7. How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966). I loved this cartoon narrated by Boris Karloff. I prefer it over the live action movie starring Jim Carrey.

#6. Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964). This came out the year I was born and, for some reason I have yet to figure out, no other version will do. Maybe it has something to do with the songs being sung by Burl Ives, I don't know but it's also a favorite of my kids, even though they are almost fully grown now.

#5. The Polar Express (2004). This is just a great story, be it in book form or this movie with the voice of Tom Hanks. We watched it tonight.

#4. The Santa Clause franchise (1994, 2002, and 2006). I just love these movies. Just about everytime I see them I see something new that I missed before. 'Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas everyone! In the morning I'm getting a CAT scan!'

#3. Prep and Landing (2009). I love how this one gives a plausible reason for how Santa can get it all done in one night.

#2. One Magic Christmas (1985). A wonderful story about an angel, two kids and how they help their mother believe again. Kind of a cross between A Christmas Carol and It's A Wonderful Life. It was beat out for first place by one other movie.

#1. A Christmas Carol. Be it the Patrick Stewart version from 1999 or Scrooge (1951) with Alatair Sim. This is an awesome story. I actually own four different versions and watch them several times during the season. My middle child also shares my love for this story. The four versions I have are... A Christmas Carol (1999) with Patrick Stewart, A Christmas Carol (2009) with Jim Carrey, A Muppets' Christmas Carol (1992) with Kermit and the gang and Michael Caine as Scrooge, and last but not least Scrooge! (1970) with Albert Finney.

I also feel we need to have a couple of Honorable Mentions...

First one is Love Actually (2003). I fell in love with it when it first came out. It follows a group of people in the 5 weeks leading up to Christmas. They seem to not know each other but as the movie goes on you see that they cross each others paths a lot.

The second one would be Holiday Inn (1942). Another Bing Crosby movie. This one pairs him with Fred Astaire. It's the first movie I heard White Christmas played in. It's about an Inn owned by Bing Crosby, that is only open on the Holidays. A really fun idea if you think about it.

Well I hope this was fun for you all. What are you or your family's favorite Holiday movies??

chefmartha2004
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:28 AM

We do all the cartoons from the "olden days".  Frosty, Rudolph, Grinch etc.  Most live action ones we do not like..

RLT2
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:30 AM

All those(especially any like "Rudolph" my faves!) and also: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Elf!

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:00 AM

We have discovered Elf. Our favorites are The Grinch (animated), The Santa Clause, I personally love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but that is NOT family friendly.

Another "tradition" of ours is to watch the SNL Christmas Special every year. My 2 favorites are the Justin Timberlake songs (Homeless-ville where he is a cup of soup) & D*** in a Box Plus Alec Baldwin as Pete Shweaty of Season's Eatings (Pete's Shweaty Balls get me cracking up every time). I know it's not kid friendly. But my younger kids never watch it & my older ones are usually too busy to hang out with me.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I like the Griswold's Christmas, not sure it is for young children, though.

MissDavison
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I love all Christmas movies, especially the older ones. Love It's A Wonderful Life(b&w). 

chefmartha
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:40 PM

ROFL!!!! Shweaty balls!!! Mine haven't seen it yet either and they ar old enough now. I'll have to see if they will watch the SNL one with me if it comes on this year. The topless Martha Stewart parody is funny too!

Quoting CampClan:

We have discovered Elf. Our favorites are The Grinch (animated), The Santa Clause, I personally love National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation but that is NOT family friendly.

Another "tradition" of ours is to watch the SNL Christmas Special every year. My 2 favorites are the Justin Timberlake songs (Homeless-ville where he is a cup of soup) & D*** in a Box Plus Alec Baldwin as Pete Shweaty of Season's Eatings (Pete's Shweaty Balls get me cracking up every time). I know it's not kid friendly. But my younger kids never watch it & my older ones are usually too busy to hang out with me.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Elf is one of my new favorites.

I also like the Shweaty Balls skit. :)   And when Frankenstein,  Dracula, Wolfman (or whoever they are) sing Jingle Bells- that skit. :)

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Frosty, rudolf, night before Christmas (animated with talking mice), national lampoons, Scrooges (bill Murray), grinch, Charlie Brown, Mickey Mouse Christmas carol, I know there are others I'm forgetting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM

It already aired... on Monday the 26th.

Quoting chefmartha:

ROFL!!!! Shweaty balls!!! Mine haven't seen it yet either and they ar old enough now. I'll have to see if they will watch the SNL one with me if it comes on this year. The topless Martha Stewart parody is funny too!

Quoting CampClan:

garrettleesmom
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM

A Christmas Story!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured