Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Going to sleep alone at 2 1/2

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM
  • 19 Replies
My 2 1/2 yr old daughter has always been rocked to sleep along with being nursed. She is going on 2 months without being nursed and a month of not being rocked, all on a self weaning basis. Tonight she asked me to leave her room (i sit next to her and rub her back) she said night night and love you. A few minutes later she comes out of her room with stuffed animal, pillow, and blanket. She lays down in the hall and is reading a book. I thought that since she was being quiet to leave her. Now she has half the toy bucket around her laying quietly playing with her hands and small balloon.

Should I leave her? Or should I go and instruct her to go back to her bed because its night night time? I don't mind her sleeping in the hall, as long as she sleeps! This is a first for me. Part of me want to get onto her but she is laying down being quiet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this
My oldest slept in the hallway for 6 months. I told her she was welcome to sleep wherever she wanted, except for our bedroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motherofjb
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM
She wanted the light on, so I gave her a very small black light off my key chain. We shall see how this goes.

Quoting atlmom2:

My oldest slept in the hallway for 6 months. I told her she was welcome to sleep wherever she wanted, except for our bedroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Just tell her to go back to her bedroom.  I used to get up in the morning and find my daughgter in her closet with all her stuffed animals just snroing away.  As long as they are warm they are fine.  

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:58 AM

She's your kid, so whatever works for you, I suppose.  My kids would be in their beds.  In an emergency situation (such as fire), I want to know where to find them.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Mine always had lights, not just a night light.  My 18 yo sleeps with a light on still.  Not at college obviously but she will probably continue at home, LOL. 

Quoting motherofjb:

She wanted the light on, so I gave her a very small black light off my key chain. We shall see how this goes.

Quoting atlmom2:

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I would just leave her.  DD gets out of her room with her blanket and pillow and sleeps on the sofa in the livingroom.  I figure as long as she sleeps, then that's fine.  She is now slowly going back to falling asleep in her room and she's 2.

mamazee46
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi there

As a mom it is my opinion that to leave her be is  a recipe for disaster for the following reasons.

1. Obedience: It is imperative that children learn to follow instruction at an early age in order to become disciplined adults. the issue of safety is not the first factor, it's obedience.

2. Safety; Should you fall asleep or she decides to quietly go for a home tour, curiosity can cause a disaster sometimes even fatal ones.

3. Routine: There comes a time in every persons life that what they have done in childhood becomes a factor as to what they do in adulthood. Do you really want to have your daughter believing it is ok to do what "she" wants to do versus what you tell her to do. Careful as this answer may seem to fill the "she is only 2 quote, but two year old turn into teens very quickly.  What you train her know will hold wait to what she does then.

much mommy love

lnr187
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

if she is more comfortable sleeping in the hallway, then whatever, no biggie. but i wouldn't allow her to bring all of those toys. maybe a stuffed animal or two to cuddle with. also, if she is doing all of this, how far past her bedtime is it? id tell her she can stay there if she sleeps, but if she's still awake when you return, that she has to be back in her bed. however, limit it to bed or one other place for safety reasons.

victoriahearts
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I would say take her back, it may become something else you will have to "wean" her off. It's best to deal with it now and simple tell her she would be more comfortable in her bed and in her room and so will her stuffed animals.

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I think she belongs in her room tucked in bed. I don't like the idea of not knowing exactly where my kids are while I am asleep. She may need a nightlight or to have her bedroom door open a crack. That's fine. But if you wake up in the middle of the night to a smoke alarm, do you really want to have to go looking for her? Even if she is sleeping in her room on the floor next to the bed, in a panic situation, you might not see her. (and definitely not in a closet!) Maybe give her a music box that plays softly so she can listen to it while she falls asleep or a story on cd that she can listen to. Something to keep her mind off going to sleep until she is old enough to get herself to sleep. Hope that helps! ♥Hugs♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)