Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

1 year old tantrums... what to do?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:58 AM
  • 16 Replies

My 13 month old daughter has just started biting, hitting, punching, screaming and testing me! What are some techniques you have used to help stop this behavior? She tends to do this more after i have said no and will run away and once i have picked her up she will put her arms up and grunt yell lol. She doesn't want help with feeding, she doesn't want to be held or even comforted long, must be terrible twos already?

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM
Let her feed herself and let her run. She wants to use all of those new skills to the fullest!
As for the tantrums put her in a safe place and walk away until she calms down. Make sure you are giving her words to use as she grows "I understand you are feeling _______ right now..."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Sign language is my first suggestion.
And of course, patience.  
And learn what might be setting these off--   You may be able to cut them off before they start if you can help her.

hugs & GL!

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Patience and give her times that she can feed herself.  Set a designated time she can run around and play, be rough as she wants to be.  For tantrums, just walk away for a few moments.   She is old enough now for time outs as well.  For her age it would be 1 minute, at max 2 minutes for each time out.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Mine son goes to the crib with two toys and door open. I tell him he can be alone to relax and I'll happily come get him when he is calm and we can play
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Do your best to ignore that behavior. Say something like "I see that you are really mad right now, let's talk about it when you calm down" and walk away.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Your daughter is trying to communicate and because she can't, she's frustrated.  She is also starting to assert her independence, so there will be a lot of head butting.

Next time, ignore her tantrum until she calms down a little bit.  At that age, we actually started implementing time outs with DD to show her that there are consequences to her actions and as a way for her to calm down.  Get down to her level and talk to her calmly and tell her that you don't understand what she's trying to tell you but if she stops and calms down a little bit, you will and you'll work with her then.  This forces them to stop and think. 

Don't give in to every tantrum because it sets a bad precedence and patience, patience, patience.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Strict consistant punishment. 

marisab
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM

BUMP!

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

This is good advice. This is also what I did when my kids were this age. I would also add to this with..make sure that you let your lo know that you do not agree with the negative behaviour and that there are better ways to show what you want to say even if they don'tknow the words. Emotions are an effective communications tool. Utilize them to your advantage.  :)  And yes, patience now has to be in abundance along with this never ending thought....This is just a phase, this will pass.  lol :)  Good Luck to you mama. 

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Your daughter is trying to communicate and because she can't, she's frustrated.  She is also starting to assert her independence, so there will be a lot of head butting.

Next time, ignore her tantrum until she calms down a little bit.  At that age, we actually started implementing time outs with DD to show her that there are consequences to her actions and as a way for her to calm down.  Get down to her level and talk to her calmly and tell her that you don't understand what she's trying to tell you but if she stops and calms down a little bit, you will and you'll work with her then.  This forces them to stop and think. 

Don't give in to every tantrum because it sets a bad precedence and patience, patience, patience.

DaniandTom
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Sounds like you have a very independent young lady on your hands! That will serve her well in life...unfortunately it makes it hard right now. Let her do as much as she can by herself and praise her often. Allow more time for errands and such so that you're not fighting both her and the clock to get things moving when she decides she wants to explore and you have things to do! And remember...very soon she will be all grown up and you will miss these times. Yes, even the bad times! ♥Hugs♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN