Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Issues with my 2 & 3yr olds

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM
  • 15 Replies

Okay my kids have developed this nasty little habit. They have been basically finger painting with poop, take off their diaper and spread it everywhere! It's gross and I don't know what else to do. I have done time outs, no TV, no toys for a day, I am running out of ideas. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I properly punish them for it? I am at my wits end over this.

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM

My oldest did that but she wasn't even 2 when she did. She would do it at night after bed instead of letting us know she went potty. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have them help clean up as much as they can and then give them the good bath.   DD never has done this.  From what i understand it is a tactile thing for them so perhaps show them play doh and finger paints as safe alternatives.

AuntyEm774
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Playdoh and fingerpaints might be a good idea, but I would also give each of them a rag and make them help clean up their mess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
victoriahearts
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I agree with this you may want to refocus there behavior by giving them something they can actually use and also punishing and making them clean up when the use their poop

Quoting AuntyEm774:

Playdoh and fingerpaints might be a good idea, but I would also give each of them a rag and make them help clean up their mess.

yperez0209
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I don't think this is a matter of punishment. You need to become more aware of when they are pooping. Can't you smell it from a mile away? As soon as they poop change them.

At this point it seems like they've taken the idea and are running with it. So, I would also get them the Crayola washable finger paints. Teach them to smear that. Maybe keep some old boxes and open them up and lay them flat on the floor then have the children go nuts with the finger paints. In other words redirect the behavior to something that's safe. Or buy a bag of jelly beans and give them one every time they tell you that they are poop and they don't make a mess. The two yr old may not be able to eat jelly beans unless you bite off half of it.  

caro100
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Beats me.  My boy literally spackled my t.v. screen so you couldn't even see the picture. Nothing, but time and I used to say,  Oooo, stinky, nasty, so sad, oooo.  Eventually he quit.  The only other way is to kind of know when they are going to poop and set them on the toilet.  Mine used to go hide, so I would pull them from under the bed or from behind a chair andeither change them if I wasn't quick enough or get em on the toilet.  I struggled till after the kid turned 4.

mackiebugsmom
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Both of my girls think poop is gross, thankfully!
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:32 PM
None of my children ever did that
lnr187
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM

offer alternatives like playboh and fingerpaint. i don't agree with helping them clean up in this case only bc they're too young to understand that it's not playing. they'll think you're giving them the go ahead to play w it.
however, being that they are 2 and 3... potty train them.

LindaClement
by Linda on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

It's simpler if their diapers are changed immediately. 

Your kids are bored and 'making their own fun.' If you want to be in on whatever they're doing (including stopping them from doing things you don't want them to do), you are going to have to be in the room with them at all times.

Children don't come with remote controls, or voice command software. If you can't see what they're starting, there is no punishment in the world that will stop them from continuing when they're unsupervised.

Kids who are punished a lot are not better behaved than kids who are supervised a lot, they're just way, way better at avoiding getting found out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured