Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Hi, I quit my job yesterday,I should explain what happened I had a job 12pm-8pm,my girls are in school so I tell the school if my kids need to go home being sick call by 10:00am so I can take care of things and be able to go to work,Well last week the school called when I was at work that my kid needed to go to hospital (she had sparined her back aweek before this is ny 16 with AD/HD) that she couls hardly walk well my job was upset so was i my daughter had been in the nurse's office at 8:00 am and it was 12 when they called me.I took my 16 year old anyways.

Then this week my 18 yr with learning diabilities the school called right before i was leaving to go to work I needed to bring her to the hospital she could hardly walk her knee and foot had gone numb she had twisted the legiments a couple weeks before so I called work and I understand it is not far to a job to call in but they are my kids,When I called my job they had told me to drop my daughter off at the hospital and come to work ya she maybe 18 but she doesn't understand things with her disabilities so yes I did quit ,I could not believe I was working for someone that was that cold about children especially when they have disabilies and I am their ownly parent around.

Maybe I was wrong,I dont believe so but I am a mom first,what do you all think?

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Nolanzo
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I was fired from an awesome recruiting position years ago as a single mom when my son went through a sick spell on and off for weeks.... had to leave my office one too many times to get him from school for my boss's comfort. Bam.

I was devastated. No family or friends to help.

It sucked. Hope things get better for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CoeyG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Your employer was paying you to be at work.  You signed a contract stating you would be at work, that there was nothing that wold keep you from doing your job.  That's what all those papers you sign when you get a job ar for, you're signing a contract to work. 

Maybe you should have take a jjo where you wroked during the day and maybe you should have arranged for someone else to care for them during times you couldn't be there.  You probably screwed yourself out of unemployment as well.  So now what are you going to do? 

jvalenze
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Maybe I should have explained when each of the girls were hurt they were taken to the docs,given cruches and gym notes,then they looked like they were getting better my 18 year rehurt her knee when trying to play gym that is why I had gotten the call to take her to the hospital,

My 16 year with her back she was getting better and something happened at school so I was called to take her back to the docs,with my 16 year old I am taking her every week to the drs she tells the school that something is wrong and I get the call,and take her with her AD/HD she has depression and can make herself sick enough to get out of school also she does alot of hurting herself to get attention yes she has been in the hospital for the mental problems and has a counselor and meds.So everytime the school calls I take my children because with my 16 year we don't know what is real and what is faking.

jvalenze
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Another reason I had left my job I had just started my job so I was on 90 period and they had told me this is twice in two weeks and you are only allowed 3 in a year what should we do.And I am glad that I did because the day after the school called again my 16 year her ears hurt,no fever when she got home she was fine did her chores and watched tv nothing about her ears at all.So I would have been done at work and no I wouldn't have been able to get unemployment if they fired me either. I do have to say I was upset with the school nurse the first words out of her mouth was we are going to be the best of friends this year,the school sends the kids home with a 99 temp and when I take them to drs the drs tell me that is not a fever to keep them out of school but they do it all the time.

AdoptingMommy
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Is it possible to take them into a drs office, where your not sitting in the hospital for hours? With my daughter her dr will get ger in Immediatly, its much less money and they pay much better attention it also takes much less time to get in & out. That way your not missing hours or days of work. You go in & out, get them a sitter or whatever needs to be done and head to work straight away. More jobs are more excepting of that. Unless its viral or very serious and needs ergent medical care right away
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:50 AM
In this day and age, I would have another job first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you. Of course the children have to come first. I hope you find a new job that is more understanding about the needs of a parent.

AdoptingMommy
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Do you think maybe they find loop holes and come home bc they know you will run and get them. If her ears hurt she came home and acted fine... That doesnt seem right to me. I always tell them to give tylenol and if it hasnt gone away after an alloted amount of time(time for the meds to work) then we can discuss it again.

Quoting jvalenze:

Another reason I had left my job I had just started my job so I was on 90 period and they had told me this is twice in two weeks and you are only allowed 3 in a year what should we do.And I am glad that I did because the day after the school called again my 16 year her ears hurt,no fever when she got home she was fine did her chores and watched tv nothing about her ears at all.So I would have been done at work and no I wouldn't have been able to get unemployment if they fired me either. I do have to say I was upset with the school nurse the first words out of her mouth was we are going to be the best of friends this year,the school sends the kids home with a 99 temp and when I take them to drs the drs tell me that is not a fever to keep them out of school but they do it all the time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jvalenze
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I don't live around family,I dont know anyone here but my kids caseworker and school,and yes I took this job 12-8 hoping if my kids were sick the school wouldnt wait til 12-or 1:00 in the afternoon to call to pick up my kids when they get on the bus at 2:10 to come home,and yes I had talked to my job three weeks ago because they had morning shifts open ,they said they would let me know in a couple of days so I asked again and was told the same thing in a couple of days.

And with my 16 year the problems that she has even with I lived around family they don't want to deal with her,they ask me how I can well I am her mom,see my 16 year old for a couple of years use to hit me so I had gotten her help but where we live they said there were only so many programs so I moved and left a job I had been at for 10 years and moved from family to a place that is trying to help my daughter shes getting better its a slow process and even with the  move I have always found a job but I think leaving this job hurt me because I liked working there I worked in a nursing home in the kitchen serving residents

jvalenze
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I agree with you the school knows I will come and get them and I have to with my 16 year old under mental health with the state if I don't do things I can lose my kids or being an unfit mom,when I had take my 16 yr to the hospital because she was going to kill her self and asked for help they said yes but we are arresting you for not getting her help before the only thing that saved me from jail was the other county had backed me up and showed proof that I had been getting her help. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN