Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Question about my toddler help needed

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hey my son is 17 months old and just started walking. He walks all over the house but once we put him in shoes to go out he refuses to walk. He never wore shoes much before now and he need to wear them now. I was wondering if anyone had this issue and how they got their kids to walk in shoes. Thanks

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Our daughter did that.  She was 15 months when she started walking.  As soon as we put shoes on her, she would sit down and cry.  We had to let her.  We would make her come to us, for whatever reason, with the shoes on.  Basically forcing her to walk around with shoes on.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

momofsunshine77
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

keep putting them on him and basically making him walk in them. 

stephwordelman1
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM

i agree with the other ladies just put them on his feet if he even likes it or not, he needs to get used to shoes and used to walking in shoes gl :) 

cassie19831
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Thanks guys!

CoeyG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I still hate shoes and only wear them if it is wet outside, or if I go some place.  I'm still barefooted here in December when I take my dog outside.  I stand on the porch with her on a retractable leash.  Even when it snows...

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:12 AM
I hate wearing shoes and spent most of college barefoot (boulder, Colorado).... Still do as much as possibly. Have you tried robeez (or similar)?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Buy the soft soled shoes and only have him wear them when his feet need protection.  Put him in the stroller if you're out.   It'll pass quickly!

victoriahearts
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM

My son didn't wear real shoes till he was 2 yo lol, it turned out that my son's feel were too chubby so it was always uncomfortable for him, so we ended up buying those slippers socks for him to wear. Maybe you just have to try different shoes or maybe let him pick something out, it could motivate him to wear them. 

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM

My kids don't wear shoes around the house, period.  If we are out and about they typically ride in a carrier or a stroller. 

Use something that's really soft soled like robeez or a knock-off of them to start with, make sure there is PLENTY of room at the end WHEN STANDING in them, NOT when he's sitting and you are feeling of it, he must be standing to see if there is enough room.  make sure they aren't too tight in the width and that his socks aren't tight either, all of that will make them more likely to not walk in them.  Walking in shoes is much more difficult than walking in bare feet because you can't properly use the foot the way it was designed.  He should only wear shoes when he HAS to walk somewhere that would be unsafe otherwise.

tjane3000
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM
My ds started walking at 9mo so he was so small that he could still wear the soft bottom baby shoes until he got the hang of it. When we switched to regular shoes he fell a lot but just had to keep putting them on. I would see if they have light weight or cloth bottom shoes in his size. I think we found ours at Meijer. GL :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN