Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about my toddler help needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Hey my son is 17 months old and just started walking. He walks all over the house but once we put him in shoes to go out he refuses to walk. He never wore shoes much before now and he need to wear them now. I was wondering if anyone had this issue and how they got their kids to walk in shoes. Thanks

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Kids that young do not necessarily need to wear shoes.  Having them wear shoes all the time actually counteracts development.  If he really needs to wear shoes, put him in something soft-soled like Robeez or go into Stride-Rite and get a pair of first walker shoes.  The whole thing of it is that in order for them to properly develop a gait and the correct way to walk, they need to be in something flexible and most shoes are not made to be like that.  Having them walk barefoot is the best way for him to learn proper step. 

DaniandTom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM

As some of the other moms have suggested, his feet may be too big for the shoes you're putting on him. Have you had them professionally measured? Make sure he is in the correct size and width and it should pass soon. ♥Hugs♥

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep putting them on him, as soon as he wakes up, and leave them on. He'll come around.

rstuart66
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Shoes are a hard thing for kids at first.  Start with short time periods of time in the house and make them wear them when your out and about.  

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM

My daughter does not like shoes, I only put them on when we leave the house

spizzarks1978
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Soft soled shoes should work.  The rule is, you must be able to bend it in half.  Stride right has these types of shoes for little ones, they are a little pricey but if you go to an outlet store they are reasonable. 

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Oh my Yes! My oldest did this to us. lol  I just bought her some shoes with ties and made sure she couldn't untie them and she had to walk in them if she wanted to walk at all. lol That was the rub for her. She LOVED to walk. :) So she learned to walk in her shoes. It took awhile, but she eventually gave in to her dislike and walked in her shoes all the time.  :)  

Onemiracle
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Couple of ideas:

- get his feet measured using a tool for Toddler feet.  Sizing is different from infants, toddlers, children and adults... and it is important to get that right.  (Make sure to have him stand on guide to get an accurate size)

- Check the foot width - again, get that size right because there might be seams inside the shoe that are more obvious depending on the width.

Two types of shoes our kiddo really liked at that age/stage. 

- See Kai Run - Look like "dress shoes" wear like tennis, flexible soles, do not leave skid marks and and are stable.  Look dressy enough that he appears to be 'dressed up" as needed, but can run like the wind.

- Keen sandals - It might seem like the wrong time of the year, but we loved the "toe guard" and wore them over socks.  It was great for our little climber that kept ripping up his big toe nails from scrambling to climb out of the crib, up the book case etc.

They were a little more expensive, but my son wore the sole off of his first pair of See Kai Runs.  they took tons of abuse, protected his feet, and did not look like practical shoes.

christykhudson
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:17 AM

I think most kids have this issue. lol I kept putting them on. The higher shoes give ankle support and also the arches in their feet I had read at such a young age need that support. It is a hard adjustment for some but in the long run it is better that they wear shoes.

It is very important to make sure that they have shoes that fit properly.

My youngest son liked to take them off while I was driving and throw them out of the window. lol I had to start taking them off in the car in then putting them back on when we reached our destination.

My mom would forget this when she would pick him upto come visit at her house and he would often come home with new shoes. lolol
I would say soooo another shoe out the window huh? She would say...yes. :p

emmy526
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM

maybe the shoes hurt his feet or bother his feet if he has sensory issues....try soft slippers on him around the house to get him used to having something on his feet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured