Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need help my youngest is a biter

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 15 Replies

my youngest son has a bitting problem i have tried time outs and they just dont work my mom says to bite him back but i am afraid that cps will get involed over it i need advice on how to get him to stop bitting he bites his big brother until he draws blood i dont understand why he is so mean to his big brother please help me i may not have him and his brother but when i have my visits i want to disapline him without cps getting all upset about it all PLEASE HELP ME 

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Bite back so he knows what it feels like. Tell him you do not want him to bite again. Everyone I know says it works first time. Don't bite hard. If he bites hard enough for blood you gotta stop it now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Why would cps be involved????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Where do they live? I bit my kids back !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

My oldest son was a biter.  My mom thought this was so mean, but every time he bit, I would put a drop of vinegar on his tongue.  That worked like a charm

CoeyG
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Remove him from the situation efore he bites.  You can tell him that he can't go with you when you visit his brother if he continues to bite and then follow up on your word, when you go visit his brother don't take him.  And you are right about CPS and biting.  They consider biting a child back as abuse.  What stopped a playmate of my sister's was the day she bit my sister on the shoulder and my sister hauled off and smacked her so hard she landed on top of the coffeetable in our living room.  That kid never bit anyone after that. 

I'm not saying it will work for you but maybe sibling to sibling it will work.  Time outs do work but you have to keep on using them over and over and over A few times then losing patience isn't going to cut it.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM
Biting back is not a cps issue unless you leave a mark. It's a common deterrent. As well as explaining food is all that should be bitten.

Is it the typical anger/ frustration bite? My lo randomly bites my forearm after a smooch and I cry out and he hugs me after. His is experimentational, I think, pants, arms. A shirt. We are trying, but with it being random and a sort of " I'm sorry" hug afterwards , it's a bit tough

If he bites out of anger, the common thing to do is say. We don't bite out family and friend. I can tell you are very upset right now, but I need to show you how bad it hurts when you bite more than food, I slight pressure bite to his hand with usually do it.
We are all so frightened of the state and disciplining our own children because of petrifying fear that EVERYTHING will have your child taken away. It just doesn't work that way!
It just doesn't. My mom worked for CPS and couldn't remove children from desperate situations because of regulations.

Parent your child , not parenting your children is why respect for rules in society are completely ignored by the new working generation now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
onehotmama0910
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

cps is already involved a hand print was found on my youngest sons face back in august 

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Then do not bite him back !!!! Biting back is a no no for CPS. A human bite has more germs in it than a dig bite. I would never recommend biting a child back, it just shows biting is ok.

Most kids bite out of frustration because they cannot verbalized what they are feeling or need. Give your child those skills. Remove him from the situation and talk to him about why biting hurts. Ask WHY he's biting and give him the words needed to ease his frustration. Also, giving a frozen washcloth or raw potato to bite on helps, especially if its a teething issue.

Quoting onehotmama0910:

cps is already involved a hand print was found on my youngest sons face back in august 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onehotmama0910
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM

he is two and all of his teeth are in 

mrs.pina
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Bite him back and believe me he will stop biting soon. My ds is was the same so eveytime he bit us we would bite him back and he doesn't do it anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)