Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

issues with 5yr old DS. or normal??

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM
  • 17 Replies
We have our 5 1/2yr old son who has always been full of energy. He's never calm or relaxed or mellow unless he's playing video games or watching cartoons which rarely happens. I'd rather him and I do stuff like games or play toys, color, walks, park....Most the time he's bouncing off the walls, being super weird and can be super annoying. For example, in the store he will run off down other isles acting like a game, or hide in the lower shelves like the t.p. and I'm constantly correcting his behavior. He's not allowed to act like that and DH and I explain to him why. We've done this his whole life, yet he continues to try to do it. He does get a consequence for his misbehavior. Its not ignored.
But at home also he bounces off the walls. Seems were telling him to calm down and talk normal a lot. Its not just us either, grandparents have the same complaints. He gets told to pick up toys and thinks its a game and goofs off doing whatever he does. They then get stirn with him and he'll do it but super slow all while being really goofy. We asked his teacher last year if she thought he had hyper disorder or add. She said no. But we're wondering if he does. Is this normal behavior? Like i said we are very consistent in disciplining when he doesn't behave or listen. He never gets away with it but continues to do it. Also we praise good behavior. He has a chore/behavior chart and can earn allowance.
I just get so annoyed by the hyperness and him being annoying that sometimes its hard to enjoy spending time with him.

I was reading about this behavior on the internet and it sounds like he has hyperactivity
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AubreeGrace17
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM
I would get him evaluated for hyperactivity. It sounds like he has a lot of extra energy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Presley77
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that sounds very very normal :)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:29 AM

How much time is allowed per day for him to get outside even if it is raining or cold so he can get this energy out.  One test some use to see if it is soemthing like adhd is to give their child a cup of something that contains caffeine.  That will usually calm an adhd person down.   Can he explain how he feels when he is racing all over the place?  Why not make picking up toys a game as in a race to see how fast he can do it neatly and the toys in the right place.  Each time the toy goes to wrong place or it looks sloppy the time gets a 5 second penalty.  

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:51 AM
Try a large glass of Mt. Few in the mornings. If it causes more problems for a week, then he isn't ADHD.
If he suddenly calms down after an hour or so, then yes, He should be evaluated( which is a questionnaire about behavior and grades, basically.

IF your pedi recommends medication, don't dismiss it , but say NO to old school Ritalin ask for a medication that is newer with less side affects, such as insomnia . We've done focalin and vyvance. Vyvance works really well, but I'm not positive about it's uses on a five yr old.
Do you homework on the newer types first, before the appt. if you fine you need one.

My son is thirteen, disgnosed in second grade with "inattentive ADD" he did not have the hyper factor. Just sort of "on his own time clock" causing homework PLUS class work to take five hours nightly, although his grades were stellar.

He still needs medication, as if he forgets it, he can certainly "feel" his mind wandering off to play with a rubber band or something. However, he can power through without calling me to bring him meds now.

It sounds like you son is putting himself in harms way in public places. That is a sure fire sign that something is going on.

Oh, I don't "believe" in the word "normal", btw. The entire human race has a quirk, illness, or oddity or something. There Is not a box labeled "normal" Normal is overrated.

But try the Mt. Dew for a week in the morning and keep up with the results. Then make an appt.
Good Luck!
trebelcleff
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

It sounds mostly like he's just a high energy kiddo.  Is he in any sports?  Something like soccer might be a good one for him.  As for the behavioral issues, I think you need a change in consequence perhaps... he knows what to expect for his bad behavior and it doesn't deter him any more.  When my oldest (6) has repeat behavior offences, we switch consequences to something more severe (like instead of just not getting TV, he loses ALL privileges for the day and has to earn each one back with good behavior).  It takes a few times, but usually works really well after a bit.  And behavior that happens at someone else's house under their care (like grandparents) warrants whatever punishment the caregiver has PLUS a punishment when he gets home (because at five, or six in our case, they can link a punishment in the future to an issue that has already happened).  

My oldest has high energy as well... he does soccer in the fall and gymnastics year round, and even right after them he STILL has energy to burn.  He ocassionally tries repeat behavior issues as well, but the increase in punishment severity has mostly taken care of that.  Don't get me wrong, rewarding good behavior is also very important!!!

robyann
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM

He may be hyperactive, but before taking him to the dr, try controling his diet. Some kids have sensitivty to sugars, or even artifical  dyes. Try to get these out of his diet as much as possible for a couple weeks and see if this helps. If not have a dr evaluate him. GL

typingMom to 6~MawMaw to 9 & counting!

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM
I second the mt dew

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Try a large glass of Mt. Few in the mornings. If it causes more problems for a week, then he isn't ADHD.

If he suddenly calms down after an hour or so, then yes, He should be evaluated( which is a questionnaire about behavior and grades, basically.

IF your pedi recommends medication, don't dismiss it , but say NO to old school Ritalin ask for a medication that is newer with less side affects, such as insomnia . We've done focalin and vyvance. Vyvance works really well, but I'm not positive about it's uses on a five yr old.

Do you homework on the newer types first, before the appt. if you fine you need one.

My son is thirteen, disgnosed in second grade with "inattentive ADD" he did not have the hyper factor. Just sort of "on his own time clock" causing homework PLUS class work to take five hours nightly, although his grades were stellar.

He still needs medication, as if he forgets it, he can certainly "feel" his mind wandering off to play with a rubber band or something. However, he can power through without calling me to bring him meds now.

It sounds like you son is putting himself in harms way in public places. That is a sure fire sign that something is going on.

Oh, I don't "believe" in the word "normal", btw. The entire human race has a quirk, illness, or oddity or something. There Is not a box labeled "normal" Normal is overrated.

But try the Mt. Dew for a week in the morning and keep up with the results. Then make an appt.

Good Luck!

MamaNeeNee
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Sounds npenal to me. My 51/2 yo is the same way. They need things to occupy their time. Make him a strict schedule and see if that helps. Make sure to include activities like sports, exercising etc.. DS's favorite thing to do is run and he will tell you that. If I make him sit still and ask him what he wants to do he will say run/play football.
It also sounds like your DS might be kind of an attention hog, he wants any attention so he does things on purpose to get it. Make sure you spend a little extra time with him each day. Make him feel special with one on one time.. Even if it's just a book or something.

In my opinion, I would never medicate my children unless it is absolutely necessary.
Kids are supposed to have a ton of energy, and be disobedient. They are kids, learning and pressing their limits. :) GL mama!
MamaNeeNee
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Normal*
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Idk- my kids both are both normal to low energy.

I'm sure it's nirmal to be amped though, in some cases.

As long as he's focused when it's time, like school- I wouldn't be worried.

I agree with sports or something.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)