Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Remedies to reduce a childs fever other than with meds??? Fever of 102° now

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
  • 58 Replies
Does any1 know any home remedies to reduce fevers? My child is allergic yo Ibuprofen/Advil &I I've been giving Tylenol but its not helping... & it wont drop below 101-100°.

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
swesolek6
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:32 AM
2 moms liked this
cool bath cool compresses.if nothing works,er
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:33 AM

How old are they?  A room temperature bath could help as well as keeping them as undressed as possible.  Cool beverages, ice popsicles, wiping them down with a room temperature wash cloth.

Beauty91805
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:33 AM
This

Quoting swesolek6:

cool bath cool compresses.if nothing works,er

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:38 AM
He's 6... I did the bath earlier, he wont drink or anything. & i've him in a t-shirt. & underware. I think he's got the flu, went to urgent care yesterday bc of nausea, stomach pains & vomiting & they said it was just gasritis/acid reflux &sent him home =\ I wish they would've done a flu test!

<3 ... Firefighters Never Die, They Just Burn Forever In The Hearts Of The People Whose Lives They Saved ... <3 

BVFD 328

ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:41 AM
If he doesn't get any better the ER is where i'll be.... I think he's aching bc all he can do is cry. He don't want to move.

BVFD 328

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:48 AM

Yeah the lethargy and crying due to aching or pain would have me in ER.   DD has had norovirus a few times and that was horrible.  has he gone to the bathroom at all since this started?  I would be concerned with dehydration when they do not want to drink.  Definitely stay away from any milk and stick to clear fluids.

hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:57 AM
They didn't because the flu does not cause vomiting. That sounds like a virus that is just really nasty. I agree if meds are pulling it down an previous poster idea of cool compress do not help, an ER visit may be it. Keep in mind if it is viral, there is little anyone can do but wait it out and hydrate

Quoting ManthaCole9406:

He's 6... I did the bath earlier, he wont drink or anything. & i've him in a t-shirt. & underware. I think he's got the flu, went to urgent care yesterday bc of nausea, stomach pains & vomiting & they said it was just gasritis/acid reflux &sent him home =\ I wish they would've done a flu test!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:00 AM
He keeps goin to pee every once in a while. I told him he'd have to get IV Fluids if he didn't drink/eat hoping it'd persuade him into it but he refuses. I know the ER will try to just give him Tylenol & send us back home without a full evaluation bc we don't have insurance & id hate to have to flip on them! That's why Im trying to keep the fever down til urgent care opens bc they don't act like that & they'll make sure he's treated.
elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with pp's . The flu isn't a gastro issue, it's a lung issue. Although that's not what is commonly thought of. It is most likely viral, but if you can't keep the child hydrated that is very bad. How long has it been since he's taken fluids, and how is his urine output? Also , if you pinch his skin on the back of his hand does it spring back to place or does it stay in a pinch or even very slowly go bak to place? Dehydration can be very dangerous, so if you suspect that you need to take him in ASAP. Let us know how he is mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManthaCole9406
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 4:12 AM
Quoting elzmnsf:

I agree with pp's . The flu isn't a gastro issue, it's a lung issue. Although that's not what is commonly thought of. It is most likely viral, but if you can't keep the child hydrated that is very bad. How long has it been since he's taken fluids, and how is his urine output? Also , if you pinch his skin on the back of his hand does it spring back to place or does it stay in a pinch or even very slowly go bak to place? Dehydration can be very dangerous, so if you suspect that you need to take him in ASAP. Let us know how he is mama.

I was in Nursing school so I know all about dehydration;; they preached dehydration, dehydration. Dehydration! & he's only drank maybe a whole Gatorade all day & a couple of sips of water mixed with the Pedia Care packet mix -that help with electrolytes&fluid balance.

I've heard old remedies about putting onions in their socks & its supposed to pull the fever out... didn't know if this was true or if there were anymore I could try.

BVFD 328

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured